Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear All There is this thing which is bothering me. There are abt 500 unanswered questions on this forum. Okay many of them don't deserve to be answered but hey ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

Unanswered Topics

Dear All

There is this thing which is bothering me. There are abt 500 unanswered questions on this forum. Okay many of them don't deserve to be answered but hey many of them do. I tried answerimg many of them, but some of them need a much smarter guy than me, please try answering them, lots of guys are facing problems.

No violence intended.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

I try to answer all the topic I can; if I can help I will. But that doesn't mean I can go answering questions on stuff I dont know about.

And on the very rare occasions I ask for help, I seem to ask quesitons so difficult nobody else can answer them either
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Out of the 500 or so unanswered questions, many were posted by folks who did one post and never came back. What possible benefit could anyone get from that, particularly if we need more information to properly answer the question?

There are a lot of very old threads that may have one or two posts on them but remain unresolved. If it's more than a year old, I consider it dead, and therefore not worth my time to answer. The original post had the right to bump the thread if they still needed help. I assume if they didn't they've moved on.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I respond to problems I can supply advice for - but thats not saying much. There are many users though - ozar and dapper dan come to mind first - who have helped me with countless issues. I hope 'someday' when I'm a little more knowledgeable I'll be able to help more and make this forum as vital to others then as it is to me now.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Linux User
    Out of 62,319 threads, there are 500 that are unanswered, that's quite something, don't you think?

I will agree with Moe and all of u on this point. There are lot of guys who just make a one time appereance and then never turn up even to look what they have posted. I should have thought this before. Anyways this is a yet another thing I have learned.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

Quote Originally Posted by Core Wizard
    Out of 62,319 threads, there are 500 that are unanswered, that's quite something, don't you think?
    so that's 0.00000016% dissatisfaction ratio? C'mon guys... we're slipping... lets up our output rate!

Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    so that's 0.00000016% dissatisfaction ratio? C'mon guys... we're slipping... lets up our output rate!

He he ... Just to play Devil's advocate for a while (why not? I've seen the film) we might be confusing quantity with quality. Okay ... so a lot of threads get answered, but how many of those are good answers? How do we really know how satisfied people are with this community?

Personally I don't think we should take this too seriously. We all know that a lot of people get their questions answered, but on the other hand ... maybe even more people could get that if we attracted more long-standing members.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    He he ... Just to play Devil's advocate for a while (why not? I've seen the film) we might be confusing quantity with quality. Okay ... so a lot of threads get answered, but how many of those are good answers? How do we really know how satisfied people are with this community?

Personally I don't think we should take this too seriously. We all know that a lot of people get their questions answered, but on the other hand ... maybe even more people could get that if we attracted more long-standing members.
    Personally speaking, I am satisified about 90% of the times. I have got a solution for almost every problem I have posted, for the ones which are still out there, I knew at the time of posting them that an answer would be hard to come by. What abt others?
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

Quote Originally Posted by fingal View Post
    very true. There are far too many accounts here with under 10 posts. Kind of crazy how many one-question-wonders there are.

as for me, I'm really new here, but I'm quite the linux enthusiast, and a forum crawler by nature. Problem is until now I havent found a forum worth crawling

I wouldnt be surprised if I stuck around long term.
    Living the digital dream....
    Disclaimer: I may be wrong since I was once before.
    Breathe out so I can breathe you in ~~Everlong