Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I thought since people are so keen on using M$ and Windblows and such couldnt you add this to a dictionary of replacable words like you do with Swear words. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Suggestion to stop M$

I thought since people are so keen on using M$ and Windblows and such couldnt you add this to a dictionary of replacable words like you do with Swear words.

Windblows replace with Non-*nix OS

M$ replace with Software Corporation

could foil alot of attempts at microsoft bashing. you would have to think of all the common derivatives that people come up with.

Joe
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

oz
    forum.guy
    That sounds like it might work. I think that Core Wizard would have to set it up, though.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    That sounds like it might work. I think that Core Wizard would have to set it up, though.
    yeah i figured that. i know they have a dictionary of replaced words due to certain swear words that get replaced with stars. certainly cut down on the number of times Moe and other moderator have to remind people that the derogotory terms are not allowed under the rules. might save some amount of time in enforcing the rules.
    Blog

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    That really would not work. "Non-*nix OS" could be any non-unix OS. "Software Corporation" is far too broad also.

But... Let's get to the basic issue at hand.

This is a Linux-oriented web forum. If the statements about: linux, vms, unix, windows, macOS, hurd, or any other operating system/company are not:

1) perverted
    2) malicious to the extent to cause physical harm
    3) profane
    or
    4) libelous

then they should be counted as humor or the free expression of thought and ideology.

This is, however, an issue that would need to be addressed by the owners and operators of this site. My opinion is no more than my personal statement about what could be an improper censoring of free-expression.

in the rules it does state not to perverse the offical name for the purpose of bashing. far too many people use M$ Windblows and such to defame it. the reason is to stop flaming threads not to cut ones personal expression. it has beed minimized quite a bit but there were several Windows Bashing threads when this is a linux forum.

it was just a suggestion not commentary on people who do this. like i said in my previous post it would cut further the amount of time moderators have to spend reminding people of the rules. i just put it out there and core wizard can do with what he wants
    Blog

Just Joined!
    Yep. It's often hard to draw the line. What is playful jest and what is OS bashing is often in the heart of the writer.

In any case, it is not good to "bash" or opine negatively about someone else's work. Microsoft has done more for the computer industry than anyone wants to admit. Their prices and tactics may be questionable at times, but the personal computer would not have the same status today without Bill Gates. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of computer techs, both young and old, that make a living from troubleshooting, teaching, and implementing his OS.

Whatever the case, I hope that the owner's of the site have the discernment to remove the authentic bashing and not the humor. I had forgotten "WinBlows", and it cracked me up to see it. Seems like a kind of "Mad Magazine" type humor. Back in the late 70's, I didn't have a Windoze (<-humor) PC. The best I got was in 1983, when I got a full Monochrome monitor on a VT220. (ah yes... the good old days of radiation...)

To those who strive to do good and make peace, Godspeed.

offtopic;
    i used to have a collection of mad magazines. used to crack me up. my brother went on to collect them after i did. a great satire magazine.

on the comment on monitor, whats sad is i made my command prompt on my windows machine at work look like an old dummy terminal with the green text on black screen. lol
    Blog

Whenever I see the offending words such as M$ in a post I just change it to MS.
    There are more mods now so it is easier for us to keep an eye on this kind of thing.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

You know, you guys run the forum, and it's "free" to us end users, so you can do whatever you want. However, IMHO there's too many attempts to edit/contort/censor/change for the common good what people post. Like I said, it's yours to do with what you want, but I think a little more faith in human nature and strong moderators(which I think you all are) works far better than altering what people post. I belong to a few "forum communities", ones that can tend to attract a lot of trolls too, and I've found in my experience the less censorship, the better. That's doesn't mean you let neo-nazi's post anti-Jewish diatribes - you need to moderate - but AFAICT this is supposed to be a Linux help forum, not an indoctrination centre(despite the fact the doctrination is quite politically correct). What the hands-off approach tends to do is attract a more responsible user base.

Just a thought, not requiring an answer.

DT

I don't really see a reason to make this policy. Most of the folks who use M$ or variations thereof are either doing so in a post that's otherwise against the rules and will be modded accordingly or they're just new and eventually they'll grow out of the "I love Linux therefore I must hate Microsoft" phase.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast