Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was just thinking that maybe we could take out 1 or 2 of the distributions on the forums list, that are less commonly used. The "Linspire" help forum for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux distributions list

I was just thinking that maybe we could take out 1 or 2 of the distributions on the forums list, that are less commonly used. The "Linspire" help forum for example has been up for months and yet there are only like 3 threads in there. I just think that maybe it's a waste of valuable space.

I agree. We'll see what Core Wizard thinks. I think perhaps one of the main reasons the Linspire forum is dead is because their official forum is quite active. I actually frequented it for a while.

The Mepis and Arch Linux sections are pretty dead as well, with under 20 threads. I honestly think the Mepis section should just be swallowed by the Debian section. It's not a different enough distro to merit its own section IMO.

As for Arch... well it's a niche. People complained to get it put in and I imagine they'll complain if it gets taken out. I just think the derivative distros shouldn't need their own section.
    Last edited by techieMoe; 07-14-2006 at 06:14 PM.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, the only one of the new forums that took off was the Ubuntu forum. I was glad to see it come about because when Ubuntu users posted in the Debian forum and didn't tell you they were using Ubuntu, it caused a certain amount of confusion (sudo, mirrors, etc.).

I'm an Arch user, but I wouldn't be opposed to all the posts in the other new forums (including Arch) being dumped directly into the "Other Distributions" forum and be done with it. That of course, being at Core Wizard's discretion.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    Yeah, the only one of the new forums that took off was the Ubuntu forum. I was glad to see it come about because when Ubuntu users posted in the Debian forum and didn't tell you they were using Ubuntu, it caused a certain amount of confusion (sudo, mirrors, etc.).
    Yes, the Ubuntu forum should stay separate IMO. It's just different enough (and popular enough) that having its own section makes sense.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

since mepis is now based on ubuntu you could lump it there.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

how about Xandros? It seems pretty quiet.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Quote Originally Posted by Vergil83
    how about Xandros? It seems pretty quiet.
    I think that's another case where the official forums are pretty active, thus having a spot here isn't as useful as it could be. I spent a year or so on the Xandros forums and aside from the "Off Topic" area, they're quite helpful. I wouldn't be opposed to removing it. If there becomes enough of a need for it in the future we can always bring it back. Same goes for any of the ones we might remove.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

We should just categorize by type of problem

[networking]
    [system]
    [entertainment]
    [post here if your foot is on fire]

etc

and then SCREW the distro threads.

well some people dont tell which distro do they have ....so if they start a thread in ubuntu forums you know they have ubuntu.
    (ps i dont like your idea Sam Liu.Sory.I like that forums like they are ...just withowt linspire)

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I honestly think the Mepis section should just be swallowed by the Debian section.
    I agree with carlosponti. I haven't tried Mepis recently but I understand it's now based on Ubuntu. Maybe it would "fit" better under Ubuntu than straight Debian. Just a thought...
    As for Arch... well it's a niche. People complained to get it put in and I imagine they'll complain if it gets taken out.
    I demand we have a Crux help forum!! (Actually, now that I think about it, Arch is based or Crux so I could post questions there.)
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 08-23-2006 at 12:34 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast