Find the answer to your Linux question:
Maybe an Unanswered Posts section on index? This might be with the auto-responder issue brought up by Variant....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unanswered Posts

Maybe an Unanswered Posts section on index? This might be with the auto-responder issue brought up by Variant.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I can only speak for myself, but if a post is unanswered it is ususlly because, either we are not sure where what the answer is, where to guide someone, or what the queston actually is.

At least in my case a autoresponder would only remind me that I still don't know the answer. I can tell you that we try to respond to all posts even if it's just to ask the user to restate the question and that we are an all volunteer board. Neither users nor moderators get payed for answering any questions. We answer questions because we like helping people with the information that we do know.

Sorry I could not be of more help,

Dan
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Engineer
    Yes an unanswerd posts section would be worth it, in my opinion, for a few reasons:

1. As this forum increases in size some new posts will start getting shunted to the next page before 99% of people get the chance to look at them. For a good example of this take a looking a look at some other sites, it is typical to have your new post on the next page and sometimes forgotten about within just two hours.

2. If it is a fairly obscure question which many are IMO then it is quite possible that only one or two registerd users know the answer, and they may only visit the site once a month - or less.

3. A quick browse through an unanswerd posts category would allow all users to see " at a glance" whether or not there is anything they have missed that they know the answer to.

4. The catgory would increase in size quite slowly. allowing everyone a chance to see every post.

As you said everyone heer is a volanteer, people who just want to help, and I think that this idea would help that urge;) also it would help preserve the usefullness of the forum as it grows larger.

Rockin! There it is.