Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just sent this to the contact email address at DistroWatch . The individual distribution pages on DistroWatch have a field named "Alternative User Forums", which usually lists a couple ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Why isn't LinuxForums referenced by DistroWatch?

I just sent this to the contact email address at DistroWatch.
    The individual distribution pages on DistroWatch have a field named "Alternative User Forums", which usually lists a couple forum websites, but never lists www.linuxforums.org.

LinuxForums has individual forums for 13 specific distributions plus "Other Distributions" plus "Everything BSD" plus a number of forums by topic.

It would be helpful to your viewers to provide this site as another alternative.

Linux Forums is referenced by DistroWatch. We're number 4 on the list of "Recommended Sites" on the main page. Bottom left panel.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

But go to, for example, the Fedora page. You will see the 6th summary item is named "Alternative User Forums" which lists two other forum sites. But not this one.

I imagine it's probably a case of them no updating each of their individual distro pages. I know if I change something on my site it's a real pain to go through every review and tweak it. *shrug* Perhaps your email will remind them.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by KenJackson
    But go to, for example, the Fedora page. You will see the 6th summary item is named "Alternative User Forums" which lists two other forum sites. But not this one.
    Those slots have to be paid for by the website wanting to be listed there. I'm not sure, but perhaps Core Wizard has decided not to buy into those slots.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    Those slots have to be paid for by the website wanting to be listed there.
    Are you sure? Do the distros themselves pay to be listed? How much of the information is paid for?

That taints the information. Just because a site is willing to pay to be listed, doesn't mean it's any good.

Welcome to capitalism.

DT

Quote Originally Posted by KenJackson
    That taints the information. Just because a site is willing to pay to be listed, doesn't mean it's any good.
    Talk to Best Buy. Or Circuit City. Microsoft pays them tons for the shelf space and advertising banners, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum who considers them a quality product company. No offense, but I don't see how the way DistroWatch funds their site is any of our business. At least they're offering adverts for Linux, unlike the Microsoft ads that some corporate Linux sites (*cough* LinuxToday *cough*) throw at you.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't know if the distros pay to be listed, but I highly doubt it. It's my understanding though that the "Alternative User Forums" is a paid-for position.
    oz

There is no problem with capitalism. It is good and proper that DistroWatch, or any site, accepts money in exchange for service, such as advertising.

The problem is that those tables look like information (i.e. data which is true to the best of the author's knowledge, independent of paid influence). And information is the value that the site offers which draws viewers which advertisers are paying to put their ads in front of.

It is our business as viewers to know whether we are looking at paid content or information .

If that is a paid slot, it is masquerading as information, which would be deceptive. I sure hope your understanding is wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast