Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
This touches an area I've spent a fair amount of time pondering. I've observed that the people on the technical sites that I frequent studiously avoid making political references of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

This touches an area I've spent a fair amount of time pondering.

I've observed that the people on the technical sites that I frequent studiously avoid making political references of any kind. In most cases, those are the rules. But a political minded person would surely be tempted to illustrate a technical problem with a well-known political problem. But you almost never see it.

It leads me to speculate about the possibility that some of the people whose technical opinions and experiences I enjoy reading, could possibly have extremely dark or short-sighted political beliefs.

The problem this causes is with my personal website. I haven't posted anything political yet, but it is my intention to post both my technical views and my poltical views. But I wonder if I will be breaking a taboo by publishing political and technical stuff on the same site.

I don't think it's a taboo as much as just not appropriate. Everybody has their political beliefs. It just shouldn't affect your immediate view of them.You don't go to a music forum expecting to see sports...this is no different. I would think that if everybody was overt with their political leanings then there would be too much prejudgment. I'd hate for tech advice to be disregarded because of an issue with the person posting it.

I know that's not exactly what you meant but I do feel there is a time and a place for everything.

I'm quite opinionated on politics, I just generally feel that it shouldn't be brought up in the midst of helping people learn Linux. If there wasn't a rule against such threads, and a thread appeared, I'd be all over it.

So Ken, on your personal website, do whatever you like. It's more of an issue of, if you're opposed to the government taking over the cheese business, and someone in answering a question says "Really gets difficult, just like those [insert expletive]s who oppose the gov't taking over the cheese business."

But I do agree that a forum for solving Linux problems is not the place to be discussing / debating such things.

i thought this thread is going to locked pretty soon... there is not a point discussing all these things here...
    well !! if moderators have plans to allow political views on this forum and they wanna have opinion of users/members, then its OK !!

Ozar, techieMoe and bigtomrodney already gave a lot of explanation and views........ we have rules....
    is there any point in discussing this stuff anymore ???

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2