Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi - I've reported at least four separate threads containing spam today. Are we under attack on here? I've seen what spam can do to a site, and it ain't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

A day of Spam

Hi - I've reported at least four separate threads containing spam today. Are we under attack on here? I've seen what spam can do to a site, and it ain't pretty! Wondered if you can/could/would block the offending IP addy?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

oz
    forum.guy
    Yes, spam does seem to be on the increase, lately. Not sure, but I think only Core Wizard can block by IP address.
    oz

I hadn't really been online today. We do get lots usually, I think it's usually gotten pretty quickly. Sometimes I arrive at work in the morning, but before the employer gets anything out of me I scrap 30-40 posts by one repeat offender. The guy gets banned, and then rejoins with a similar name. It's usually gone within a few minutes of being posted so I don't even know why he bothers.
    Last edited by bigtomrodney; 09-05-2006 at 08:25 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Wondered if you can/could/would block the offending IP addy?
    Careful with that please. Many of us have a dynamic IP address, as I'm sure many spammers do.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

To be honest, I hadn't realised how much of a problem this could be. I found some more this morning in the Misc section which - no doubt - Random J. Spammer considers to be unobtrusive.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

That's the exact guy I was talking about. IHe just rejoins with a random number after his name. I'd look into wildcarding the name but then (s)he'd just rejoin with a new name. :grr:

oz
    forum.guy
    I think they have to have a new email address for each account so maybe they'll run out of email addresses at some point, or get tired of setting up email accounts so they can confirm their registration.
    oz