Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there already a forum were we could go to and see what kind of things people are doing with their linux boxes? Say projects, like building MP3 servers for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

new topic section

Is there already a forum were we could go to and see what kind of things people are doing with their linux boxes? Say projects, like building MP3 servers for car, home etc.. Or Building a battlefield 1942 linux server or even having linux run your coffee machine, stuff like that. I know there is already sites like that on the web. But I think it would be cool to see what our linux community is doing with linux. What do the rest of you think? :

Linux Engineer
    Interesting idea but personaly I think most subjects of that type would go in "the coffe lounge"

Linux User

good idea

I think that would work with the added idea of being able to attach certain files. so that you could attach a tar of your code of config files.

This could really be great if you expand this a little. Lets I create an entry for my laptop compaq evo n1015v. then create an entry for my X configuration and upload the file. anyone with the same system can just download my file and their ready to go.

I know this seems similar to source forge - but to be honest the source forge interface is weak. In essence we would be making a catalog of pre created linux systems. people just buy the hardware - base install and download the relevent conf files and or program code as required.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Re: good idea

Quote Originally Posted by kpzani
    I think that would work with the added idea of being able to attach certain files. so that you could attach a tar of your code of config files.

This could really be great if you expand this a little. Lets I create an entry for my laptop compaq evo n1015v. then create an entry for my X configuration and upload the file. anyone with the same system can just download my file and their ready to go.

I know this seems similar to source forge - but to be honest the source forge interface is weak. In essence we would be making a catalog of pre created linux systems. people just buy the hardware - base install and download the relevent conf files and or program code as required.
    How do we review them? I would not like un-reviewd files being uploaded to this server. Not just for the secutity issues but just to know if they work or not this would be a project in its self. We want to offer a qulity service what would happen if some lamo files get in the reputation of this forum will be tarnished.

Linux User

ratings

new uploaded files would be rated as untested. after that every user of an acceptable level - say guru. can rate the files. so users would know the quality of what they are downloading.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Sounds like a good idea i dont think that there would be much intrest in reviewing config files But you could pass it by J (Are you reading this and see what he thinks.

Linux Engineer
    damnit i wanna be guru so i can laugh at other people bad spelling in config files, someone has to be worse than me

What like referer in PHP

Just Joined!

Re: good idea

Quote Originally Posted by kpzani
    Speaking about Compaq Evo, I already have a page about it
    (go to my signature to find out )

And about the idea - it's just great. Anything going on with that recently? I'd be interested to take part in it, anyhow, so let me know.

Linux Guru
    We are looking at the possibility of building an add-on to the forum that would allow for most of the things suggested here, but nothing has been decided in concrete as of yet.

Jason