Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: would you like to be able mark threads as solved?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

10 55.56%
  • no

8 44.44%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
im missing something on this forums for a long time- "mark threads as solved" feature. I didnt see it on this forums yet.. So is possible to get it "is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

mark threads as solved?

im missing something on this forums for a long time- "mark threads as solved" feature.
    I didnt see it on this forums yet..
    So is possible to get it "is possible to get marker threads as solved"??

NO !

Reason:
    Mr. A has tried all the suggestions in so called Solved thread. His problem is not solved even after following all suggestions. Mr. A posted in same thread referring the suggestions, what he already tried and results. Now thread is unsolved again.

one more thing to add. solved threads should not be Locked coz, in case, Mr A posted in existing thread, everyone would know what Mr A already tried and what is Left to Suggest.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    Here's another thread where this was discussed before:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/com...-iniative.html
    oz

I think it's worth noting that as of this post there are 75,085 threads in Linuxforums. If something like this were to be implemented it would need to be going forward. I don't think anyone would volunteer for trawling threads and I imagine some would be impossible to follow up.

well is saw this feature on daniweb

it looks fine

ps:more votes please!

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    NO !

Reason:
    Mr. A has tried all the suggestions in so called Solved thread. His problem is not solved even after following all suggestions. Mr. A posted in same thread referring the suggestions, what he already tried and results. Now thread is unsolved again.

one more thing to add. solved threads should not be Locked coz, in case, Mr A posted in existing thread, everyone would know what Mr A already tried and what is Left to Suggest.casper
    Fully understand the logic behind this but isn't it the case that once the issue is solved for the one who started the thread then it is indeed solved. If someone else has a slightly different set of circumstances then they could start their own thread stating something like

"I have tried everything in this thread [link to thread] but it has not worked for me because my situation is....."
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    NO !

Reason:

one more thing to add. solved threads should not be Locked coz, in case, Mr A posted in existing thread, everyone would know what Mr A already tried and what is Left to Suggest.

casper
    what about option, that only thread starter would be able to mark thread as solved (like only mr a can edit his posts)

suggestions?

Just a thought: Given that there are frequently many ways to accomplish the same thing using *nix systems, the true status of a thread is often ambiguous at best.

Example

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Q1: What is the best way to secure my system?

A1: Configure iptables.

A2: What type of system is this? Desktop? Server? What is its purpose?

A3: I agree with A1. Set up iptables and you will be fine.

A4: Have you looked into selinux?

A5: I recommend the book Hardening Linux. And configure ssh. Also, you can encrypt your partitions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So is the above thread "solved"? At what point will it be so? I'd argue that many threads are works in progress, and that they could benefit from additional viewpoints.

Just Joined!

Only Admins

It would be very helpful if the Admins could mark something as solved--it would save time as I go looking for quick answers. But only Admins so others don't cut off discussion when a decent answer has yet to be given.

Some threads concern problems that aren't really "solvable", for example, someone asking for advice on setting the security correctly on a server. The thread starter could be looking for an open ended list of security features that they could implement, and, for this reason, never want the thread to appear to be closed (which is what "solved" would mean to some people -- "That thread is solved, so there's no point me reading it.").
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast