Find the answer to your Linux question:
Not sure that I like the new influx of advertising on www.linuxforums.org . some adds are fine and are also necesary to pay for the hosting etc.. but splitting up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Recent changes in advertising policy

Not sure that I like the new influx of advertising on www.linuxforums.org. some adds are fine and are also necesary to pay for the hosting etc.. but splitting up posts with advertising is just too much imo and there seems to be more and more every month. It is damageing to the forum in that old users will stop posting and some new users will not sign up. I am not sure that I will continue useing the forums while this is the way it is. :/ Possibly a better way to get money is to activly ask for donations from existing users. I know that I would pay to keep the forums add free and functioning.

Linux Guru

Re: Recent changes in advertising policy

Quote Originally Posted by variant
    Not sure that I like the new influx of advertising on www.linuxforums.org. some adds are fine and are also necesary to pay for the hosting etc.. but splitting up posts with advertising is just too much imo and there seems to be more and more every month. It is damageing to the forum in that old users will stop posting and some new users will not sign up. I am not sure that I will continue useing the forums while this is the way it is. :/ Possibly a better way to get money is to activly ask for donations from existing users. I know that I would pay to keep the forums add free and functioning.
    The reason I have advertising on linuxforums.org is so that there are funds available for advertising and promoting linuxforums.org elsewhere, allowing the site to grow bigger -> the more members we have, the quicker your questions will get answered, and the less chance there is of a question going unanswered because no-one knows the answer. More users = more knowledge.

I currently advertise linuxforums.org on Google Adwords & Distrowatch.com which costs far more money that is being "earned" through banner advertising and such, and there is also the upkeep of my server that this site runs on (recently upgraded to a Gig of ram from 256 + new mobo and processor). Luckly, the bandwidth is provided free of charge by the ISP i work for.

I hope you have noticed that while I have added google advertising on the viewtopic pages, I have removed the non-google banner ad's running across the top of the site on every page, so in fact there is now LESS advertising on linuxforums.org.

I dont particularly like the idea of donations for 2 reasons:
    1) its putting too much pressure (IMO) to "give something back" or "help more" on the many people who already put so much time into answering other peoples questions, why the bloody hell should they be asked to "donate" as well?

2) having seen other forums try the "donations" route, and having seen more than once everyone saying "yeah, sure, i'll donate", then when a donations system was setup in fact only 5% of the people who said they would donate, did so, making the who exercise a big waste of everyones time.

If people really want to pay and in return not see any advertising on linuxforums.org that may be something i would consider, but i personally am not particularly keen on the idea. What does everyone else think?

Jason

Linux Engineer
    Im not too worried about the adds, google adds are reasonable subtle anyway, although i would liek to see them back at the top/bottom instead of splitting posts. If they really bother u, firefox has an extension called adblock which lets u block the googlesyndicate2.ads.com? links anyway so there are jsut some blank spots.

I know there must be quite a bit of cost runnign the site and as long as we dont get popups etc, im happy to keep the site free.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellmasker
    I know there must be quite a bit of cost runnign the site and as long as we dont get popups etc, im happy to keep the site free.
    Popup's never

Did anyone test this as 800 X 600 in IE. At home I use 1024 resolution, but at the office here we use 8 X 6 IE. The forums (e.g. kernel, newbie, laptop) are stretched to about 150% of the screen width. It is the ad that stretches it, but it appears the ad has space to the left and right of it.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Darl
    Did anyone test this as 800 X 600 in IE. At home I use 1024 resolution, but at the office here we use 8 X 6 IE. The forums (e.g. kernel, newbie, laptop) are stretched to about 150% of the screen width. It is the ad that stretches it, but it appears the ad has space to the left and right of it.
    Thanks Darl, i've just tried this out and seen the problem as you've said. I've tried to fix this but not having much luck atm, I will try again tomorrow.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    Quote Originally Posted by Darl
    Thanks Darl, i've just tried this out and seen the problem as you've said. I've tried to fix this but not having much luck atm, I will try again tomorrow.
    Fixed.

Linux Engineer
    Ok on reflection it is really not that bad.. I dont like the way the add splits up the posts but I can live with that. How about a theme overhaul anyway? perhaps then you would be better able to get some adds placed in a not too obtrusive way.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I'm going out on a limb here but here it goes.

You now get a high quality forum for many of your linux and linux related questons for FREE

If you want it to stay that way then you need to accept what ever methods of income the board can get without your money. Voice your opinion is fine but this is free and the admin/mods' time is also FREE

If someone gave you a dollar or a pound would you complain if it had some wrinkles in it?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Newbie
    I think that moving the ads to the bottom of the thread is a perfectly acceptable solution. IMHO the last reply is probably the most frequently read anyway.
    [ [ SykkN alloc ] initWithThePowerTo: destroyYouAll ];
    /* Don\'t make me use it! */