Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just a suggestion, Place a sticky at the top of the forums with the title "Choosing Your Linux Distro" Might help alleviate all the repeted posts about "Hey Tell me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Which Distro Threads

Just a suggestion,

Place a sticky at the top of the forums with the title "Choosing Your Linux Distro"

Might help alleviate all the repeted posts about "Hey Tell me wich distro I should use cause I am too afraid to try it out on my own"
    The problem with developing something completely foolproof is underestimating the complete ingenuity of fools ~Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by cybersmurf
    Just a suggestion,

Place a sticky at the top of the forums with the title "Choosing Your Linux Distro"

Might help alleviate all the repeted posts about "Hey Tell me wich distro I should use cause I am too afraid to try it out on my own"
    Well, the real question is, which forum? There's already a "New Users Read this First!" thread in the Linux Newbie section, which hardly anyone reads. Do you think putting this at the top of all the forums is going to help?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Hmmmm

Very possible, you see, if they got enough energy to get into the forum and Im guessing they posted the same question in every forum, as well as they set up an account to be able to post, then maybe, just maybe if they see a sticky at the top of wichever one they go into (if it is posted as a sticky) they just might read that first, I mean it takes what 30 seconds to post a sticky to all forums, and it would probly save you a buttload of replies to noobs who have decided that they are new, but not noob enough to read "newbie questions here" section

Meh only way to know it to try :P

Cybersmurf
    The problem with developing something completely foolproof is underestimating the complete ingenuity of fools ~Unknown

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't think we'd want that posted in every forum, but there might be a way make it a "read this first" announcement on the index page so that all would see it. I'm not sure, though...

oz
    oz

Problem

Ok, only problem with that, is that has already been done, here is a suggestion though, I just looked at the Forums main page, and got an idea, right at the very top, there is a section with one posting, the section is titled Linux Forum, one posting, you could try adding it to that, I would be amazed if they missed it, I mean coe on its the first thing you see when the page loads. Title is something obnoxious like

Choosing What Distro

or

What Linux Distro works best for you

Not that your going to explain wich one, but it would certainly grab noobs attention

Just Joined!
    I would say that is a good suggestion for saving a lot of the Mod’s precious time in replying to the same questions posted by the newbies. But still the Admin’s and the Mod’s would know the best regarding this change if it works for the forums or not.