Find the answer to your Linux question:
while digging around on freshmeat, i found this project that looks interesting... it's a web-based ftp client... it has the ability to have bookmarks, upload, download, etc... i thought that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

web ftp

while digging around on freshmeat, i found this project that looks interesting... it's a web-based ftp client... it has the ability to have bookmarks, upload, download, etc... i thought that maybe with the number of links we post to distro mirrors, commonly used progs, etc., if the bookmarks are global, we could offer web-ftp to facilitate downloads and make things a little easier to find.. here's the link:
    http://projects.nihilist.nl/proms.ph...w&project_id=3

good idea/bad idea??
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

all for

im all for it

It sounds like a good idea to implement, but I can't see how this would be easier than browsing the ftp server in your browser. Sure you can have global bookmarks, but I can post a link and it is basically a global bookmark.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    the idea is to collect the links from the posts in one place.. basically, you won't need to go to the distro sites to find the d/l mirrors, etc because there will be bookmarks here for them...

that was the idea i had when i saw that project...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Even so, we could do that w/o that prog. I just don't see any added functionality over a browser and a forum...except maybe that it would be easier to share links rather than having to put them into a post.

/me shrugs.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy