Find the answer to your Linux question:
i thought we were supposed to be able to delete our own threads. i've had the need to do so lately. i have searched the FAQ and looked around on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Can we delete our own threads?!?!?

i thought we were supposed to be able to delete our own threads. i've had the need to do so lately. i have searched the FAQ and looked around on the page for a delete option in the editing menus and what not. So can we delete our own threads?
    Running Linux Since 2001ฎ
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 9•12•06

Quote Originally Posted by flipjargendy
    i thought we were supposed to be able to delete our own threads. i've had the need to do so lately. i have searched the FAQ and looked around on the page for a delete option in the editing menus and what not. So can we delete our own threads?
    Yes - you just need to edit your thread and the option appears at the bottom right of the text box.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

only Moderators and TPs can delete/move threads. you can send PM to them if you want to delete or move your thread.

* i am moving this thread to 'Comments / Feedbacks / Suggestions' Forum.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks Devils.

Is there a reason users aren't able to delete their own posts? As long as a post cannot be deleted after someone posts a reply i cannot think of a reason why a user would not be able to delete a post. i don't have any experience in moderating a forum though.

Yes - you just need to edit your thread and the option appears at the bottom right of the text box.
    The only time that option shows up is when i'm in this forum. That's the first time i've seen it. i don't see that option in the 'Help Forums' or any other 'Community Forum'.

Is there a reason users aren't able to delete their own posts?
    you can delete your post anytime but you can't delete thread.
    for deleting post, click on Edit button --> Delete.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Same as i said above then, if no one has replied to our thread yet why can't we delete it?

Same as i said above then, if no one has replied to our thread yet why can't we delete it?
    I'm not an expert in vBulletin (the software this forum runs on) but I would imagine it's a permissions problem. It may be difficult to give regular users the ability to delete their own threads without giving them the ability to delete all threads.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I think because it’s up to the moderators to decide which thread is important and which needs to be deleted as there are always chances of your thread getting a reply.
    In vBulletin there are options in which one can set the rules of deleting threads. Some forums also keep a time limit in which users can delete their own threads and posts if they take an action in the designated time frame.