Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
From the rules: 3. No religion/political posts So, this means we can put all of the 'religion' and/or 'politics' we want in our signature - just not in any posts ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

religion/political posts

From the rules:

3. No religion/political posts
    So, this means we can put all of the 'religion' and/or 'politics' we want in our signature - just not in any posts -- right?

No, religious and political sayings, slogans or any form of communication is against the rules. Having it available to signatures opens up the possibilities for trouble that can be seen in posts.

I hope that clarifies that for you.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

This is a great rule in my opinion. I saw a serious religion discussion explode into an ugly shouting match on another forum that I subscribe to. Made me appreciate the thought that went into the rules on this forum. Nobody benefits from those kinds of posts.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    No, religious and political sayings, slogans or any form of communication is against the rules. Having it available to signatures opens up the possibilities for trouble that can be seen in posts.

I hope that clarifies that for you.
    Occasionally, I happen across something in a signature that I believe could be classified as religious and/or political 'sayings, slogans or any form of communication' that could be interpreted as being considerably more "provocative" than what I currently have in my signature...

I was just wondering, exactly where do we draw the line (i.e., all moderators would have to be in general agreement)? From the rules:

Interpretation of these rules is at the sole discretion of the moderator...
    Sometimes it seems like a double-standard is being upheld...

For example, sometimes it seems like "it's not O.K. to promote any thoughts about Christianity (or religion in general) , but it's O.K. to promote thoughts that "trash it"...

Quote Originally Posted by CodeRoot
    but it's O.K. to promote thoughts that "trash it"...
    in posts i know that not to be true. i have not seen a post that trashes religion or Christianity that has not been locked immediately. I think sometimes the signatures kinda get overlooked because its not immediately apparent to the moderators.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

oz
    forum.guy
    There is no exact line drawn. Trying to be extremely exact only causes more problems. You can report any post, avatar, or signature that you feel violates the forum rules, and the mods will make a final decision.
    oz

For example, sometimes it seems like "it's not O.K. to promote any thoughts about Christianity (or religion in general) , but it's O.K. to promote thoughts that "trash it"...
    Where do you see these? I'm pretty active around here and I never see these. Plus, if there are any religious/political posts, they get locked/deleted immediately.

I'm glad that you brought this up - it's important to see where there may be potential loopholes.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

oz
    forum.guy
    Occasionally, I happen across something in a signature that I believe could be classified as religious and/or political 'sayings, slogans or any form of communication' that could be interpreted as being considerably more "provocative" than what I currently have in my signature...
    CodeRoot, when you run across these things, don't hesitate to report them.

Any avatar or signature displayed becomes part of the post, so they too must comply with the forum rules. Yes, the rules are interpreted at the sole discretion of the moderators. We may, or may not agree with your own interpretation of the rules, but that's yet to be decided.

While all the mods and trusted penguins here don't necessarily agree on everything, we all do get along with each other quite well, at least in my own opinion.
    oz

CodeRoot, when you run across these things, don't hesitate to report them.
    O.K. - I'll try to remember to point them out...

Any avatar or signature displayed becomes part of the post, so they too must comply with the forum rules.
    Absolutely! This goes along with my way of thinking. I probably couldn't have said it better myself... In a way, this was the intended "point" I was trying to make with the original post.

Thank You -- and, you guys please keep an eye out for - and make equal judgements on - every part of the post, not just the main text.

Thanks again...

Remember: amateurs built the ark... professionals built the Titanic...
    Hypocrite :P

EDIT: Damn, Abraham Lincoln falls under politics...
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast