Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Do you want to have a posibility to mark threads solved?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 66.67%
  • No

5 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I opened this topic already about half a year ago. I'd like to see a new module on this forum. Possibility to mark threads solved. This time there would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

solved again

Hello,

I opened this topic already about half a year ago.

I'd like to see a new module on this forum. Possibility to mark threads solved. This time there would be some changes:
    -only thread starters and moderators, trusted penguins, and our trusted ghost would be able to mark a thread solved
    -if thread starter wouldn't be happy with the answers, would have an option to mark a thread unsolved again.

I know this would bring up a problem - community would need more moderators. But, I think that would be very helpful to all users, who would search for their problems, or to people who would like to help solving a problem.

I hope you understand my topic.

BTW: I think I failed the forum. Should that be into a suggestions forum? If so, please move this thread.

I f I can voice a personal opinion on this I think that whatever about implementing this, it would be very difficult to see this working across the board. At the time of posting this we have 92,805 threads. It would really only be feasible to do this going forward.

If I remember correctly the main concern last time was that this would throw up some problems with search engines finding the word solved repeated many times. Sorry to be vague but I can't remember the details exactly.

Anyway has a way around this issue been found because if not I can't see why the answer would be any different this time round
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Regardless of what happens, I think it is a good idea.
    I praise Webmin and PuTTy!
    Registered Linux User: 439431

DaniWeb IT Discussion Community - Software Programming / Web Development and Technical Support

-mark as solved system
    -vBulletin (same as Linuxforums.org)
    Forum Threads: 71,506
    Forum Posts: 371,102

No crushes, search engine works fine.

DaniWeb is a Software Programming Forum. if a programming problem is solved, solution will work in every machine. there could be different approaches to solve same problem though but the solution provided, will work.

we have altogether different scenario in LinuxForums.
    e.g. if we solve an Installation Problem for a particular machine, its not sure that solution will work in other machines too. thread is Solved for a thread starter only or a few users having exactly same specs. for others, its still unsolved.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I agree with Casper ... What works for one won't always work for another. Thinking that something is either solved / unsolved is too binary for me, so I voted 'No'.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Well I agree with casper too.

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    DaniWeb is a Software Programming Forum. if a programming problem is solved, solution will work in every machine. there could be different approaches to solve same problem though but the solution provided, will work.

we have altogether different scenario in LinuxForums.
    e.g. if we solve an Installation Problem for a particular machine, its not sure that solution will work in other machines too. thread is Solved for a thread starter only or a few users having exactly same specs. for others, its still unsolved.
    I agree with you casper, but perhaps one argument for the other side would be that once the issue is solved for the thread starter (i.e. the one who asked the question in the 1st place) then it is indeed solved.

If someone else still experiences problems (because of a different setup) then they should start their own thread with their specific details.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Quote Originally Posted by zba78
    I agree with you casper, but perhaps one argument for the other side would be that once the issue is solved for the thread starter (i.e. the one who asked the question in the 1st place) then it is indeed solved.
    If someone else still experiences problems (because of a different setup) then they should start their own thread with their specific details.
    we usually move new posts from old, solved or unsloved threads and start new threads. i think if Users find that thread is marked as Solved but given solution is not working for them, they will tend to post in Solved threads only

in that case, another question arises. should we Lock solved threads?
    how would we stop users to post in threads marked as Solved?
    wouldn't this make things more complicated for Mods and TPs?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast