Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Do you think the forum should have its own linux distrobution?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that would be a great idea.

2 15.38%
  • No, it would never work.

11 84.62%
i think theres enough "loyal" members on these forums that the whole forum (with the mods being in control) make a Linux distro. we pretty much have experts for all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

forum distro

i think theres enough "loyal" members on these forums that the whole forum (with the mods being in control) make a Linux distro.
    we pretty much have experts for all the main distributions.
    Everyone that we would need to help make one would gladly help out.
    Question:
    Do you think the forum should have its own linux distrobution?
    Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems.
    Linus Torvalds

Personal and politically centrist blog.--->
    http://www.deathnerd.com

This is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how feasible it is. For example, I can imagine infinite arguments over which distribution to base it on. And I shudder to think about the debates on whether or not to include proprietary software... ::

edit: I'm not going to vote in the poll, since I don't really have a strong opinion either way.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

oz
    forum.guy

Thumbs down I voted no...

I personally see no need in creating another new distribution.

There are already something like 400 distros available and adding still another one to the list won't do much to improve the quality of Linux, and it won't do anything to help new users waddle through all the confusion that comes with so many distros to choose from.

If there were something about it that would make this new distro really different and original, it might be worth considering. Otherwise, the current list of distros have all the bases pretty well covered.

If anyone here has lots of extra time on their hands and they want to contribute to Linux, they should consider joining the development team of one of the current Linux distros. That would be time much better spent, at least in my opinion.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I personally see no need in creating another new distribution.

There are already something like 400 distros available and adding still another one to the list won't do much to improve the quality of Linux, and it won't do anything to help new users waddle through all the confusion that comes with so many distros to choose from.

If there were something about it that would make this new distro really different and original, it might be worth considering. Otherwise, the current list of distros have all the bases pretty well covered.

If anyone here has lots of extra time on their hands and they want to contribute to Linux, they should consider joining the development team of one of the current Linux distros. That would be time much better spent, at least in my opinion.
    I concur and voted nay,nay, nay!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

i do see your point but it was merely a thought. just something interesting to think about.
    please delete this before a lot people come and argue about it.
    (That wouldnt be good)
    Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems.
    Linus Torvalds

Personal and politically centrist blog.--->
    http://www.deathnerd.com

I don't see a need to delete the thread. The "loyal" folks here at the forum (some of whom have been here much longer than me) would probably just say no thanks and move on.

In my time in the forum if there's been one thing that I've seen made absolutely, blindingly, unerringly true it's that everyone is different. There are folks on the forum who love Debian, love Slackware, love Fedora, love Richard Stallman, love KDE, love Gnome, and so on. There are just as many who hate all of the above, but we make civil and interesting conversation here regardless.

My point is, making one forum distro would likely be a logistics nightmare, and at worst impossible. There are just too many people on the forum for anyone to be able to please them all.

Keep thinking though. Just because this idea didn't pan out doesn't mean you won't come up with something that will. Enjoy the forum and the variety of points of view you'll run into.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I voted no, but that it would never work. Just that it is not necessary.