"FREE" (cough, cough) magazines????
I have had a look at this and it sucks:
Free IT Publications
* Implementing Detailed User-Level Auditing of UNIX & Linux Systems
* Linux from Scratch
* A Complete Beginner's Manual for Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)
* The Incredible Guide to NEW Ubuntu (Karmic Koala)
* The GNU/Linux Advanced Administration
* A Newbie's Getting Started Guide to Linux
* Run Your Own Web Server Using Linux & Apache - Free 191 Page Preview
More Free Magazines and Whitepapers »
The 3 reasons why this sucks is:
1. Free denotes that it comes without commitment and obligation.
These are NOT free - one is obliged to fill out a very extensive marketing questionair - BEFORE one is "allowed" to get the "free" magazine.
2. The questionair it's self is both intrusive and broad ranging - and it's a "sticky nosing" questionair. It's excessively probing. It's like a CIA personality profile test.
3. It's also dishonest marketing - is it a case of go to a page, and download the "free" magazines? Nooooo
Your getting lied too.
You HAVE TO fill out a very very extensive targeted marketing survey and then you get the mostly HO-HUM and kind of short 6 page linux "power users" manual.
So why does this company / organisation lie too, and mislead, and then demand that people fill out every question of what seems like a 200 item questionair, just to get a "FREE" pamphlet?
Why do the people who run the "Linux Forums" lie too and mislead people?