Find the answer to your Linux question:
This project is probably too advanced for me right now, but is there any in-terminal audio programs? I'm wanting to use a relatively weak computer (400 megahertz) to run my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Audio project

This project is probably too advanced for me right now, but is there any in-terminal audio programs? I'm wanting to use a relatively weak computer (400 megahertz) to run my music off to my surround sound. Even worse, I am hoping to be able to get it off the network (so I can broadcast it from my own computer) wirelessly, but that isn't necessary at this point.

Ultimately, I am going to make some very small, simple boxes (flash memory, no perminant memory, audio jacks with no video out... unless I make it for video too... but that's MUCH later ^,^) that I can plug directly into my home network (maybe or maybe not wirelessly --that depends on whether I feel like running wires into the walls, which I probably will do. I enjoy that, actually...) to play music through from wherever. Of course, I will have to learn a LOT more about both hardware and software (well, firmware, rather...), but right now I'm just wanting to use a very old laptop in terminal to play music through the surround sound directly. Any suggestions?

The software side has already been done
    MPD: Music Player Daemon
    Music Player Daemon (MPD) allows remote access for playing music (MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, Mod, and wave files) and managing playlists. MPD is designed for integrating a computer into a stereo system that provides control for music playback over a local network. It also makes a great desktop music player, especially if you are a console junkie, like frontend options, or restart X often.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Newbie
    That sounds like I might be able to use it for what I'm wanting now...

...but as far as the project I was talking about, it's something I just want to do myself. I may use other projects to tweak it afterwards, but the thing in its entirety is more or less a goal of mine. Kinda like playing "Devil Went Down to Georgia" on my fiddle-violin (why couldn't they just give it a single name?!?!).

Anyways, like I said I might be able to make this program work (it looks pretty cool...). Thanks!

But if there's any other suggestions out there, please let me know, too.