Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok... first of all here's some info... I run slackware 9.1, i'm running rosegarden-4 0.94 i think... something like that. Basically I am recording some of my music with rosegarden ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

midi to mp3?

Ok... first of all here's some info... I run slackware 9.1, i'm running rosegarden-4 0.94 i think... something like that. Basically I am recording some of my music with rosegarden and I would like to convert my music files into mp3 format, but one problem is that I can't find that feature to save as mp3 format in rosegarden. There is however a feature to save as a midi file... now I don't know if that's such a good idea but, long story short... is there any way of converting a midi file into mp3 format? Or is there a much more simpler solution to getting an mp3 format?

Any input/solutions is much appreciated, thank you.

Linux Guru
    Well, the greatest problem with Midi is that it doesn't play through a PCM channel, but that the sound is digitized on the sound card itself.

Of course, this can be overwon. There are two ways that I can think of off the top of my head:
    1. Play the midi file and record a wav file at the same time. Then you'll have a PCM copy that you can then encode with MP3.
    2. Use timidity or any similar program that "converts" a Midi file into a PCM sound. Then you can also encode that file with MP3.

Just Joined!
    Hey, Dolda2000 thanx for the help, again it is greatly appreciated... i've actually discovered a new program now called ardour (i'm sure you've heard of it) and it works really well except for I don't get any sound when playback... still trying to figure that one out... but I can save as a wave format and then just use lame to change it to mp3 format. So thanx again for your help though, if you have any suggestions on my playback problem that would be useful.

I use qjackctl to startup jackd, etc... I have newest ardour version... I run alsa which is compiled into a 2.6.6 kernel... umm.. i have a soundblaster live! card.... When i start a session in ardour i add a track and i set my inputs/outputs manually... then i check to make sure they are connected alright in qjackctl...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    You might want to check out audacity it is annother exclenet aplication!

Just Joined!
    Hey, Dolda2000 thanx for the help, again it is greatly appreciated... i've actually discovered a new program now called ardour (i'm sure you've heard of it) and it works really well except for I don't get any sound when playback... still trying to figure that one out... but I can save as a wave format and then just use lame to change it to mp3 format. So thanx again for your help though, if you have any suggestions on my playback problem that would be useful.

I use qjackctl to startup jackd, etc... I have newest ardour version... I run alsa which is compiled into a 2.6.6 kernel... umm.. i have a soundblaster live! card.... When i start a session in ardour i add a track and i set my inputs/outputs manually... then i check to make sure they are connected alright in qjackctl...

Just Joined!
    Yea... I figured out my problem with the playback in ardour, found out it was just the level on the master volume.. it was set to 0, haha... anyways thanx again for the help everyone, much appreciated