Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by x FaLleN AnGeLx I think that'll be quite sad spending extra money for a game that is playable in just one click on another boot system Thus, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by x FaLleN AnGeLx View Post
    I think that'll be quite sad spending extra money for a game that is playable in just one click on another boot system
    Thus, I want to stay with Linux BUT I need a way to play
    Yes, it is sad... but the problem with running Steam/CSS is not with Linux, rather it is with Valve who steadfastly refuses to release a Linux port, after all the many years Linux servers have dependably served up a huge proportion of the CSS/Team Fortress games played.

As far as Cedega goes, I used to run Half Life 1 and Team Fortress with it and it mostly ran satisfactorily, but that's been a year or so ago I last played and I never played CSS with it.

I've been playing StarCraft with wine and it runs almost as well as under Windows so I'm happy for now. Having said that, I agree with Kieren. There's nothing wrong with dual booting Windows/Vista with Linux if there are games and stuff you need to play that won't run correctly under Linux. After all... most games are made for Windows...

Here is an excellent list of games that run natively on Linux...

Link
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 09-25-2007 at 01:16 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Thanks Dapper man!
    These opensource games were completely new to me, although I must reckon I know about Americas Army. Americas Army and The Battle of Wesmoth seem quite interesting!

I'll perhaps try them out in my school holidays in one week (FINNALY!). Yet I'll look forward then for a dual Boot for Windows.
    Although I don't know the system requirements and how much space/energy it takes away?

A dual boot is where you install 2 operating systems (Windows and OpenSUSE for example) on one computer and run 1 of them at a time. When you reboot you get the option of which operating system you want to boot into.

It is very simple and there are tons of easy to follow tutorials on the internet, including videos on YouTube.
    Linux User #453176

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ooh, Thats a Dual Boot System.
    No, I have that already, on my laptop and my PC I can boot anytime with windows or OpenSuSe. I thought it might be able to run both of them parralel in one desktop screen.
    For example cmd windows and steam windows in one window, yet on linux OS..

Dual booting is one of the most basic things to do when you first start with Linux. There are many many online "How To's" for it. In short, you take a computer already installed with Windows, resize your Windows/NTFS partition smaller on the drive to make room for Linux partitions. Then, install Linux to the newly created space. At the end of your distro's install, you will have the opportunity to install the grub boot loader. Install it to the MBR, and tell it you want Windows as a boot choice too. It's pretty intuitive. If all goes well, when you reboot, you will be presented with the grub boot loader that gives you a choice of booting to either Windows or Linux.

EDIT: You beat me to it Kieren! And with a lot less words too!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Dual booting is one of the most basic things to do when you first start with Linux. There are many many online "How To's" for it. In short, you take a computer already installed with Windows, resize your Windows/NTFS partition smaller on the drive to make room for Linux partitions. Then, install Linux to the newly created space. At the end of your distro's install, you will have the opportunity to install the grub boot loader. Install it to the MBR, and tell it you want Windows as a boot choice too. It's pretty intuitive. If all goes well, when you reboot, you will be presented with the grub boot loader that gives you a choice of booting to either Windows or Linux.
    Yeah as I told just now I have that pre-installed
    I have the boot and installer cd of openSuSe and Ubuntu :P

Check out a program called VMWare. It is a program that lets you install an operating system from within another. For instance, you can run OpenSUSE, install VMWare and install Windows onto VMWare player.

I'm not sure how good it would be with games though as the Linux kernal will be controlling your hardware.
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    I have managed to download CSS now with Wine, although when I open it, just before the main menu appears it blacks out and shuts down.

I will try out VmWare player now.

Just Joined!
    If you guys are talking about virtual machines VirtualBox has a pretty sweet virtual machine and I haven't tried it on opensuse yet but on PCLinux it ran great, can't do 3D rendering, but runs other windows applications great, one other awesome thing about this virtual machine is that you can use both start bars on the same desktop so you don't necessarily have to run it in a window, but like I said it can't do 3D rendering, but it will run Steam and you can chat with your friends.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2