Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello. I am quite new now to linux, in fact I just installed Linux openSuSe 10.2 2 days ago. I have been using Windows OS now for 5 years now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with SUSE & Steam/Wine

Hello.

I am quite new now to linux, in fact I just installed Linux openSuSe 10.2 2 days ago. I have been using Windows OS now for 5 years now and I have a very good knowledge of it. As a matter of fact, i started hating windows because of the way it worked. I had to reinstall windows a couple of times because of system errors and it always had deffects. In fact, windows had put trojans and other spywares into the windows installer disks and my private antivirus would always recognize it. Anyway..

So i have been trying to figure out how to use Steam and COunterStrike:Source on my new Linux partition, since i am such a fan of the game
    After googling for half an hour I found some tutorials that could have helped me, but somehow the didn"t o0

Problem>

I have downloaded Wine for OpenSuSe 10.2 in the website of Wine.
    It automatically installed it when it was downloaded.
    Now, the tutorial said I had to run Wine. First of all i had to find it, it was hiding in /usr/bin/wine

I clicked the run button of wine and waited. After a while i repeated this process a few times and I was unable to run it at any time.. o0

Since I have somd cmd knowledge I could kindof open the console and put in these commands like: Wine, Winelauncher

Or cd wine first and then type Wine or Wine.exe ..

None of them worked. All I could launch was WineLauncher which just launched some instructions or configurations. I browsed through them and i did not find anything that could have helped me.

No I am lost.. I don't know what to do, I googled for several hours and i did not find any solution to my problem. Perhaps I did something wrong in the download or something.. Could someone please take the time and help me with my problem? I already have searched the board I did find anything relating to my problem..

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sincerely,

Adrian

Cedega runs Steam very well. I haven't tried it under regular wine but it has come a long way so I might give it a shot too. Download Steaminstall.exe. To install, be in the same directory where it is and run:
    Code:
    wine Steaminstall.exe
    That should install it. Wine sets up a fake Windows directory structure so to find Steam you have to look in a "hidden" directory called .wine. Notice the period right before. To get into that directory:
    Code:
    cd .wine
    Then...
    Code:
    ls
    to see what's in there. Notice one called "drive_c."
    Code:
    cd drive_c
    Now you should be in familiar territory. I cannot remember if Steam is installed to Program Files or just in "C." Anyway look for it. Once you find the Steam .exe, be inside the same directory and run:
    Code:
    wine Steam.exe
    And... if all goes well, it should bring up Steam for you. Hope this helps...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Hmm, aparently Cedega is not free and costs? I will give it a check later on..

Sorry I cannot really follow your help, I need a more detailed instruction :P

Or perhaps add my msn to your contact, I think this might go faster and better then Adriano_torres_10@hotmail.com

Adrian

Anyone who has time to help me, shall feel free to add my to their contacts.

Just Joined!
    The thing is, whatever command I use and how I try to open Wine (Run), Wine wont load.
    I tried it for hundred times, Wine just doesn't run/load..

Hi Angel.

I have been trying to get Steam/CSS working for a while now and still no Luck. To get wine to work, just download the steaminstall.exe (It is available on the Cedega forum). Once downloaded navigate to the directory you downloaded the install file to and type:

Code:
    wine steaminstall.exe
    This will get Steam to install Steam for you.

I have bought Cedega and have managed to get Steam to install and run (very slowly) but have not been able to launch CSS yet. I think I'm just going to put a dual boot with XP onto my computer for games for a few more years yet. Hopefully Steam will become more Linux friendly in the future
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    Hmm.

Ok, I found the download for Steaminstall.exe (not in the cedega forum, somewhere else)
    And I could install it with wine so far..

Now I have this strange lagging problem o0?
    Steam is REALLY slow, I can't even really click something..
    I am waiting now since 10 minutes whether it will actually launch the install Button of css i pressed..o0

This is the same behavior that I'm getting. There is an emulator called CrossOver Linux you could try. Like Cedega, it's not free but it does have a trial period for you to see if you can get it to work with CSS.
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    Well I am a passionate CSS Gamer and computer scripter (The Computer scripting part is the thing that mostly showed me the way to Linux, also the security and the fact that is something new and challenging to use at first ), and just a trial won't really make me happy :P I am used to 2 hours gaming a day, not that I am addicted, I have top grades and have a real life besides my computer, but Linux blocks right now CSS so..? Well whatever, weird text I'll post now, my point is that a trial won't help me, since I don't want and cannot just afford me something like that JUST for gaming.. I think that'll be quite sad spending extra money for a game that is playable in just one click on another boot system
    Thus, I want to stay with Linux BUT I need a way to play

thx,

Adrian

In my opinion a dual boot with Windows is the best way to go at the moment. It will probably give you better preformance than you will get with an emulator at the moment.
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    Sorry for my helplessness but what is a Dual Boot with Windows?

OK, I mean I can guess it and google after it, my first thought, a programm that makes it able to run windows and Linux on the same time, on the same desktop? But how? And where can I get a good and safe version of it? :P

Thanks a lot for your answers,

Adrian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast