Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi peeps.. I'm pretty much a Linux noob, got Suse 9.1 up and running but anything using 3D, i.e. games run really jerky! My system is very high spec and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Noob in Nvidia gaming hell...

Hi peeps..

I'm pretty much a Linux noob, got Suse 9.1 up and running but anything using 3D, i.e. games run really jerky!
    My system is very high spec and under winxp rarely drops below 100fps for even the most intense games.. linux loads nvidia driver ok as far as i can tell but 3D performance is terrible and i can't seem to figure out why
    Any advice is welcome.. just want UT2004 to run as well (or at least comparibly well) as under winXP! Then I can ditch Windows forever

Thanks in advance..

JB

Linux Engineer
    Useing Yast2 you need to update to the official nvidia driver. Currently you are usieng the "nv" driver which is fine for 2D work but does not provide any 3D acceleration. Check in yast for the nvidia drivers.

Linux Engineer
    IIRC there's a little green button on the bottom right that allows update of the driver.

Then again I culd be wrong
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Make sure you get the latest nvidia driver

As mentioned, the "nv" driver will support nvidia, but you will not get full hardware acceleration. Use the driver I linked to (official nvidia driver) to get acceleration.
    --monkey