Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am wondering how to do this... I can play the region 2 dvd I purchased on my laptop no problem. However, what I am trying to do is rip ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How to convert DVD region in Linux

I am wondering how to do this... I can play the region 2 dvd I purchased on my laptop no problem. However, what I am trying to do is rip or copy the DVD to my hard drive, then re encode it and burn it to DVD as region one. In the past for all my regular DVD backing up and copying needs I have used K9COPY. When I try to open the region 2 disc with K9copy the application crashes. I have also tried dvdrip with no success. If anyone has any suggestions, tips, or advice, it would be GREATLY appreciated!

P.S. I can't buy this DVD in any other region, so that is out of the question.

Just Joined!
    Hmm this is strange, I download VOBcopy... when I first would try to use the program it gave me an error about not being able to read the video_ts directory. Also I noticed at this point I was unable to browse the CDrom directory, and noticed this error in my /var/log/messages

Nov 6 19:17:08 nimda kernel: [109145.068000] cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!

Now, since I was able to watch the movie before I knew something was up..
    I pulled the disc out and reinserted it, but before I gave the computer much time to read the disc before deciding whether it wanted to mount it or not, I forced the mount manually. Somehow, this worked?? lol

writing to /home/nimda/tempdvd/GITS2_VOL1_D1/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB
    YAY!

So vobcopy is the thing to use on multi region copy jobs

Linux Guru
    Regions are ignored on Linux, thanks to libdvdcss. Is there a reason you want to encode it to region 1? By default discs made would be region free and play anywhere.

Just Joined!
    Yea I wanted to rip it and re-encode it so I can watch it on my normal store bought DVD players, like I can with most burned DVD's. ... for some reason though my normal DVD copying software would not work with this region 2 disc and that was where my problem was. VOBCOPY seemded to solve the problem though, once I was able to properly mount the drive. Not to mention the Bug in Ubuntu I had to deal with that involves the fstab... had to change the order from udf,iso9660 to iso9660,udf then all was well

P.S. How does your burner know whether to burn it in PAL or NTSC format?

Linux Guru
    It doesn't change it to or from PAL/NTSC, simply removes the region code. The region is not related to the video format other than region 1 coincides with the USA.

Just Joined!
    When you burn a DVD, does it burn it as PAL, NTSC, or a hybrid combonation that is usable on both (eg. region 0)??
    I have read conflicting things about this conversion process some people say that you must adjust framerate when converting a PAL dvd to NTSC.

Source states "well.. there's no guides and it's pretty complicated so I wouldn't waste my time on it.. you have the reencode the video and change the framerate, then apply pulldown to it, then decode the audio, change the pitch, reencode to AC3 and everything just mentioned goes for every video and audio stream on the disc, then you have to re-author.."

Linux Guru
    Yeah it is pretty complicate to do it by hand, as usually a straight NTSC to PAL conversion means that through the film the sound and video will drop out of sync by ~4%. This is due to the different framerates. Most TVs from the last ten years can play PAL and NTSC anyway, the same goes for pretty much (if not) all DVD players. If you drop the region code you should be able to play it without trouble.

Just Joined!
    Excellent, thank you for your time in explaining and clarifing that bigtomrodney!

Guess I will attempt following the path of DVDDecrypter + DVDShrink via WINE path... hopefully it will allow me to do a successful conversion of my PAL Region 2 DVD's to something that I can throw in any of the DVD players around my house.

Linux Guru
    Let me know how you get on or if you have any trouble I can help with. Check out DVD95 also for ripping, I've found it quite good.

Just Joined!
    Eek.. I was able to rip the viles via a vobcopy -m (mirror). Then I proceeded to put it into the dvd-video format iso by using mkisofs -dvd-video with the video_ts folder.. anyways it converted it to an ISO and I was able to burn with k3b. I put it into my DVD player in my TV and it still gives me the exact same 'Wrong Region' error as the other disc guess I am going to have to figure out the complicated process of converting each individual part of the dvd... ugh time to get out the external HDD. I also tried DVD95 no success, it reads the table of contents and looks good, then I hit convert and it generates an error in a language I am unfamilar with. I also gave DVDRip a shot as well.