Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I'm networking noob, so my debian box on a windows network has dns issues and makes accessing Unreal Tournament's web admin obscenely difficult: is there any linux console ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Control UT Server from Console

Hello all,

I'm networking noob, so my debian box on a windows network has dns issues and makes accessing Unreal Tournament's web admin obscenely difficult: is there any linux console utillity that pipes commands to UT's console so I can just SSH in and admin away, or am I stuck with webadmin?

Thanks,
    Jarrad

I dont really get the problem.
    If you dont have DNS, but you do have a IP adress
    why dont point the browser to the IP?

Cheers,
    Robin
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    I do have DNS (it's a dynamic IP system), however I don't control the network and For Some Reason local name resolution from browsers (IE at least, I actually must test Opera to make sure it's not merely IE being difficult) doesn't work so I'm going through ping > copy/paste ip > webadmin, which is annoying. And plus, a console program interface would be useful for a number of other reasons too: cron jobs notifying players when the server is about to turn off springs to mind immediately.

Umm, well I dont really get your problem.
    But lets check if I do..
    So you want to connect to a SSH using a DomainName?
    Well, you should be able to do that.
    But if your Smart you'll give a Server a Static IP. This is good for a couple of reasons. When you have a Static IP you can just SSH to it or point your Webbrowsr to it (but you cant use IE since its really terible(Not only from a Security Point of view))..

I hope that helped abit.
    Cheers,
    RObin
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinVossen View Post
    Umm, well I dont really get your problem.
    But lets check if I do..
    So you want to connect to a SSH using a DomainName?
    Well, you should be able to do that.
    But if your Smart you'll give a Server a Static IP. This is good for a couple of reasons. When you have a Static IP you can just SSH to it or point your Webbrowsr to it (but you cant use IE since its really terible(Not only from a Security Point of view))..

I hope that helped abit.
    Cheers,
    RObin
    No. SSH to the hostname works now, http via a browser does not. It would indeed be simpler to give my server a static IP, however as I have been given specific instructions by the network admin not to, this isn't really an option. All I'm after is a way to interface with UT via the linux console!