Find the answer to your Linux question:
'Ello! Long time no --anything. Sorry. I don't think y'all miss me. Hope not. I'm still quite incompetent. Speaking of incompetent! I have (legal --did you know Charlie Chaplin's stuff ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

making dvds from... avis, mkvs, whatever

'Ello! Long time no --anything. Sorry. I don't think y'all miss me. Hope not. I'm still quite incompetent.

Speaking of incompetent!
    I have (legal --did you know Charlie Chaplin's stuff is in the public domain?!) videos I wanna burn to DVD in DVD format. I got the hardware, and possibly even the software, but I'm not sure how I could do this. So, I have mpeg 2, mkv, wmv and avi formats. I don't even know what mkv is exactly, but I can convert them at the very least (not completely incompetent!!). Anyways, any ideas of something I could do to put these into a DVD-compatable format (and burn them to a DVD)? It would be especially nice if I could put multiple movies on a single disc. Umm... yeah.
    Please?

So... how's Fedora 8? I'm enjoying Sabayon right now (flashback --Fedora 7 wouldn't work on my perty machine a while back...), so I'll probably keep it on here, but Fedora (at least Red Hat) was my gateway to Linux, so I still like to keep watching it. I'll be downloading it fairly soon anyways, but just thought 'd ask anyways.

Linux Newbie
    Well, everything I see seems to say that you must convert to mpeg (either 1 or 2) first. I'm having fun with putting Charlie Chaplin's stuff on DVD now (a gift for an old teacher, and my own pleasure). I'll find conversion software later --these are taking a while to download. Here's where I gathered the most information....

Cheers!

Just Joined!
    You can try DeVeDe to convert video files to DVDs with menu. Check here:

How to create a custom DVD using DeVeDe