Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm wondering what the best way to pipe my music collection from my linux pc to my stereo is. I currently have all of my music ripped to mp3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Playing Mp3 collection?

Hi, I'm wondering what the best way to pipe my music collection from my linux pc to my stereo is.

I currently have all of my music ripped to mp3 and used to use my PC to play all of my music as it would generally be in use when I wanted music playing anyway.

Now I have moved home and my stereo is too far away to use a cable to get the music to the stereo, and there is not really a need for me to have the PC on all the time anymore.

Can anybody suggest a good way of getting around this? I'm currently wondering if I could make a small media PC although I can see that to be an expensive option

Linux Guru
    The way it looks you can either burn everything back to disc or build a small media centre. Assuming you want your PC turned off that is. There are lots of WiFi media centres and some cool devices like the Terratec Noxon.

my noxon

Just Joined!
    OK, anybody know where I need to look to get started?
    I'm looking to build an embedded linux box with lcd and remote, I'm wanting to stay low budget if at all possable, and I want something that will fit with my current Technics 17" stack. Any links or advice?

Linux Guru
    There are plenty of HTPC cases that look well and match the dimensions of stereo components. Some come with LCD, with or without touchscreen.

Here are some examples, though not all that cheap

Komplett.ie - Silverstone SST-LC04 HTPC, Silver Aluminium w/240W PSU
    Komplett.ie - Zalman HD 160 Silver, Card Reader, VFD Display, Remote, Aluminium (Without PSU)
    Komplett.ie - Zalman HD160XT HTPC Silver, mATX/ATX, 7" touch display, Aluminium (without PSU)

Just Joined!
    Ok, after googling loads it doesnt seem like theres much info available for what I'm doing, and not many active communities

Anyway, I'm assuming that the following is what I need:

Case for mini/micro atx or atx mobo
    Mobo supporting amd or via cpu
    budget CPU
    2gig ram (while its cheap and saves upgrading later when I decide to use this as a HTPC)
    DVD drive
    Linux compatible video card
    Linux compatible sound card (proberbly built in sound or mayb my creative audigy ex plat if I can find it)

and now, where I have my downfall:
    linux compatable remote control
    software

I'm assuming for software I want mythtv with mythmusic, and a remote won't be too hard to find (I hope )

anybody got some experiance or advice on what I want to be buying?

Cheers

Linux Newbie
    Please forgive this first blasphemy, but Xbox 360, even the cheap versions, will stream from a Windows-based PC (xp/Vista).

Now, more expensively, the PS3 definitely has some sort of streaming support (I am, unfortunately, not lucky/rich enough to find out), and I know there are definitely some linux-friendly things going on with the playstations.... and the first Xbox, for that matter. Mods aren't hard. Wow, I should've thought of that earlier.

Anyways, I had once talked to some people in some forum (I want to say it was here, too...) but I can't find anything about it. A personal project I want to make is to make a little bity box that can connect to a TV/stereo and stream/be streamed from/to (/////) a very obsolete computer-ish thing. Someone was suggesting a fix but I can't find it now. ( I only mention this just in case someone that knows of that post could link to it here).

Otherwise, I have found a friend in VLC player from VideoLAN . I only use it for just video playing (for which it is quite powerful), but it is supposed to be for streaming media, to my understanding. Once again, I don't know, but it might point somewhere useful.

Hope I helped...

Linux Guru
    I am using my Xbox 360 with ushare. I can access all of the divx/xvid content along with all of my mp3/wma collection. And as a bonus I get to browse my photo collection. All works very nicely.

Linux Newbie
    Ushare? Look into that I shall....