Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
yast is not a distro btw.. it stands for "yet annother system tool" and it is the package manager used by SUSE. imo SUSE is not ideal for games as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

yast is not a distro btw.. it stands for "yet annother system tool" and it is the package manager used by SUSE. imo SUSE is not ideal for games as it is not particularly optimised and can be a bit of a hog. I still stand by my gentoo reccomendation - the install is easy just follow the instructions. slackware is allso good though.

soory, i didnt mean yast, there was recently an articl released about the fastest distro, it was something like that (mabey yost or jast...) regurdless it clocked in as the fastest distro by a considerable amount, it even beat gentoo! (dont worry, its not better, has no emerge and is a little quirky b/c of the tweaks to the kernal)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Here we go, yoper is supposedly the fastest distro as of right now...wow....fast......

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    i think yost is not well known and i have never heard anyone to use it...
    Linux For Ever!

i was refering to yoper, its just bare bones, but with an easy(er) install, just comes with less crud, and apperently their performace enhanced kernel is very powerful.... I dunno never used it, but might give it a try....

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    OK well ive dled SUSE personal 9.1 to try...i was installin..but then i remembered i needed to make partitions for linux...is there a way to make another partition linux can instal on, if i already made a partition for windows?? and also what file system does linux use FAT16??

Linux will read and write to FAT32, it has support for NTFS, but thats still in beta, your best bet is to use one of the linux filesystms (xfs reiserfs ext2 ext3) they are not only 100% linux compatable, but they are just significantly better filesystems.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    OK but again is there a way i can make another partition even though i already made an 80 gig partition for windows??

Linux Engineer
    The suse installer will automaticaly re-size windows partitons creating free space on the hard disk which you can then use to install a linux filesystem upon. i reccomend ext3 for boot and reiserfs for /root.

is reiserfs better than ext3 for somethign of that nature? I would think that ext3 would handle large map file loads and such better than reiserfs, or i could have my fs backwords, i always get the journaled ones mixed up.

Formerly Known as qub333

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast