Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
HI im new to linux...im looking for the best linux distributor for gaming..thx...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

best distibutor for gaming

HI im new to linux...im looking for the best linux distributor for gaming..thx

Linux Engineer
    Gentoo is imo the best gaming platform. it even has custom gaming kernels. Not only that but it is slick and powerfull in every other way imaginable!

In addition to that, its has the wonderful emerge feature so you dont have to deal with some of the ridicouluse dependancy list that accompany some larger games.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    well i heard that gentoo is a little more advanced and not as a nice gui..im lookin for smething easy, yet for gaming

the part of gentoo that is difficult is the install, but that is not entirly true, with a copy of the provided handbook it is relativly painless. And once it its runnig the GUI is the same as all the other linux distro's. gentoo (one installed) makes life so easy that it is incredable. most distros will require you to run circles to find all teh dependacies required for a program and then find that the rpm is not for your distro, with gentoo even programs with long dependancy list (such as mplayer) as simple,
    Code:
    emerge mplayer
    will dl, compile, and install the entire thing.

Formerly Known as qub333

True there is no gui install, but if you can read and follow instructions, you can install gentoo. It's not as hard as people make it out to be. They have a very good install guide, and all you have to do is follow it step by step.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    if you search for an easy distro with gui (best of all i think) try suse 9.1.
    it has easy installation and setup using yast2 and you can easily set up your graphics card ans setup it with sax2..it's your choice!
    Linux For Ever!

FINE, if gentoo has officaly been ruled out, then i would put my weight behind either yast or slackware. Personaly, i have never used yast, but it is supposed to be wicked fast. Slackware is fast and has is in general a good ditro. I would recommend avoinding the 'big name' distros as the 3 of them (suse, mandrake, fedora) come with majorly bloated default install packages. If you only want to game, you have no need for the development tools, servers, and other programs that will run by default, something lean an mean would be the best choice.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    FINE, if gentoo has officaly been ruled out, then i would put my weight behind either yast or slackware. Personaly, i have never used yast, but it is supposed to be wicked fast. Slackware is fast and has is in general a good ditro. I would recommend avoinding the 'big name' distros as the 3 of them (suse, mandrake, fedora) come with majorly bloated default install packages. If you only want to game, you have no need for the development tools, servers, and other programs that will run by default, something lean an mean would be the best choice.
    Yes lean and mean..and that would be...?

something that doesn't install with alot of programs by default, slackware and yast are both good possibilities.

Formerly Known as qub333

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast