Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi everyone, whats the best operating system for gaming? thanks in advance for answering...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Best OS for Gaming?

Hi everyone, whats the best operating system for gaming?
    thanks in advance for answering

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by fishking View Post
    Hi everyone, whats the best operating system for gaming?
    thanks in advance for answering
    Just my opinion, but I think MS Windows is probably the best OS for gaming. Linux hasn't caught up, and it might be quite a while before it does.
    oz

Windows, of course. Or one of any number of nice consoles.

But I did see an article linked to from OSNews today - very cool games.

Online Games: Top 10 free Linux 3D games

I just need the video card to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Just my opinion, but I think MS Windows is probably the best OS for gaming. Linux hasn't caught up, and it might be quite a while before it does.
    Agreed. If you're just a casual gamer however, Linux can probably work just fine for you. There are Linux versions of card and board games as well as a Linux flash plugin for web games.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Now, before I say anything let me say that I have been pure console all of my life --I am now downloading "sauerbraten" to play around with now, and previously have never endeavored to seriously game on a computer (I messed with Second Life, Runescape and a couple of other free MMORPGs too...).

But anyways, besides game-specific distros like live.linux-gamers.net and cedega (Cedega's not free...), Sabayon does quite well. I think my internet is slow (so much better than the dial up from my past), but even the early build of Second Life seemed quite functional.

Just Joined!
    i know this is an somewhat old topic, but i play alot of pc games, seeing as i have a rig that can run crysis on medium to low (medium with decent fps). i was wondering if sticking with windows xp on my hdd1 (the one i have all my games installed on) for gaming and using my hdd2 for ubuntu, or if wine or another linux distro would work. i play alot of different games : Battlefield 2142, WoW, Tabula Rasa, Steam games (counter strike source and day of defeat source specificially), and company of heroes and its expansion.

new to linux btw, saw ubuntu and was intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by anomie View Post
    Windows, of course. Or one of any number of nice consoles.

But I did see an article linked to from OSNews today - very cool games.

Online Games: Top 10 free Linux 3D games

I just need the video card to support it.
    Thanks anomie. I just downloaded and installed "Tremulous" just to have a look see in Spectator mode. Looks pretty fun! I might join a server tonight and see how it goes. I haven't played much FPS since running Team Fortress with Cedega when I had a cable connection. When I moved over to DSL, I just couldn't get the same pings and quickly lost interest from being repeatedly slaughtered. lol...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    I just downloaded and installed "Tremulous" just to have a look see in Spectator mode.
    The screenshots are impressive, IMO. One of these days I'll spring for a real video card so I can play too...

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Thanks anomie. I just downloaded and installed "Tremulous" just to have a look see in Spectator mode. Looks pretty fun! I might join a server tonight and see how it goes. I haven't played much FPS since running Team Fortress with Cedega when I had a cable connection. When I moved over to DSL, I just couldn't get the same pings and quickly lost interest from being repeatedly slaughtered. lol...
    That'd be cool to see you on...I play occasionally, usually for a burst of maybe a week then forget for a few months. I often play on the Atomreaktor servers. Throw a post in here and I might see you online

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    I often play on the Atomreaktor servers. Throw a post in here and I might see you online
    I'll do that! Tell me though... From watching in spectator mode, it appears that the "spiders" have a slight advantage over the humans. Of course, that was just one server I observed so the humans I saw just might have not been good players... Any thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of the two sides?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast