Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I had the Same problem with xmms not letting me play mp3's try installing xmms-1.2.10-1.src.rpm that fixxed the problem for me. Bananamanusa...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RE: Problem playing MP3 files on xmms (Redhat 9.0)

I had the Same problem with xmms not letting me play mp3's try installing xmms-1.2.10-1.src.rpm that fixxed the problem for me.

Bananamanusa

Just Joined!
    i have xmms, with every plugin i can find, and i havent found a file it plays

so far, i have been living off of realplayer

i read thru the various forums about the media players and i dont know what i am doing wrong, but nothing seems to work

i have xine, xmms, mplayer, and kaffeine, and realplayer, and realplayer is the only one that works

i have apt-get, synaptic, and yum, they are all updated, plugins and all, and so far i am not getting anywhere

so i guess my basic question would be, is there anyone who can help me fix whatever problem(s) i am having?

Linux Newbie
    hmm .. I wud like to help you .. tell me in details what exactly are the symptoms of your xmms while playing ...

Just Joined!
    well, i learned something today, by accident, just thru reading thru various forums

i had put the codes, which i downloaded from the mplayer website into /usr/lib/win32

but i also needed to put them into /usr/local/lib/codecs

after i did that, i can play mp3's

but i go to some websites and it plays video but the sound breaks up, and nothing plays wma or wmv files

on a side note, firefox browser will play the streams, with the mplayer-plugin i installed, but the size of the video doesnt change, about 1" x 1"

Linux Newbie
    c'mon men .. download xmms-wma for your XMMS ...,

plays the hell out of all WMAs ...
    I play mp3, mp4, ogg, wav, wma on my xmms ( exclusive for audio )
    for video, i use a combo of vlc-mplayer-xine.

Just Joined!
    [root@localhost ~]# apt-get install xmms-wma
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    xmms-wma is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 0 not upgraded.

OK, i am lost now, i got it here, but when i try to play it, i get

[root@localhost ~]# xmms

** WARNING **: alsa_setup(): Set buffer time failed: Invalid argument.

Segmentation fault

You've probably found a bug in XMMS, please visit
    http://bugs.xmms.org and fill out a bug report.

[root@localhost ~]#

any suggestions? i was trying to play a wma file i downloaded

Linux Newbie
    well the segmentation fault part comes with me as well .. but not the alsa_setup part ..
    I actually almost never run xmms from cmdline, so this seg error is not visible, bcos it plays fine otherwise. Actually i recently upgraded my xmms to 1.2.10-5, but it was a broken upgrade since I am using arts 1.17 and xmms 1.2.10 requires arts > 1.20. But I am having no problem so far.
    It seems to me as though your xmms alsa output plugin is corrupt or your alsa is not configured properly. Try changing your $HOME/.xmms/config file
    manually, change the line starting with "output_plugin". For eg :

output_plugin=/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libarts.so ( for aRTs ) or
    output_plugin=/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libesdout.so ( for eSound )

Note : since ALSA error is produced, your current output-plugin selection will be libALSA.so. Change it as above and see the results.

btw , I use eSound over ALSA ( both in GNOME and KDE ), since my aRTs doesnt work well.

Just Joined!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boyz
    I cannot play any MP3 files on xmms!i had installed the rpm files from gurulab but still got error when i start the song.Did i missed any step?sorry for any bad spelling!thank
    install on a suse 10 & works great. install on redhat 9, Buzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wrong answer
    not in home folder, .xmms in terminal, removed in sound & video program

Quote Originally Posted by josephsunrise
    install on a suse 10 & works great. install on redhat 9, Buzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wrong answer
    not in home folder, .xmms in terminal, removed in sound & video program
    Well i must admitted that, if we install from the CD-RH 9 Package, we will got problem on it. But after I update the XMMS using 1.2.10 version, the problem seems like disappear .

But I still have problem with my sound-driver. Is there someone can help me to solve it. My motherboard type is ASUS P4P800-MX.

I'm locking this thread because people have been piggybacking off it. If you have an issue of your own that is not solved by an existing thread, start your own thread and explain what you've tried, what didn't work, etc.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2