Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I cannot play any MP3 files on xmms!i had installed the rpm files from gurulab but still got error when i start the song.Did i missed any step?sorry for any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem playing MP3 files on xmms (Redhat 9.0)

I cannot play any MP3 files on xmms!i had installed the rpm files from gurulab but still got error when i start the song.Did i missed any step?sorry for any bad spelling!thank

what was the error, what steps did you take, information is needed for a comprehensive answer.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    Of course you can't play mp3's on xmms with a bone stock RedHat 9. RedHat removed the ability to play mp3's as of RH8. You also can't do it with a bone stock Fedora.
    Go to http://www.freshrpms.net and follow the instructions to set up an apt repository and synaptic. Once you've done that, use Synaptic to install xmms and mpg321.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Now the error message did not appear,but another problem coming up!When i click the play button,the music just run 1 second only and then it jammed.There are just a "tup" sound come out in this 1 second.

there was another thread on this exact problem, try searching a little bit and seeing what comes up, unfortunetly, i dont remember the exact solution.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Turn
    Of course you can't play mp3's on xmms with a bone stock RedHat 9. RedHat removed the ability to play mp3's as of RH8. You also can't do it with a bone stock Fedora.
    Go to http://www.freshrpms.net and follow the instructions to set up an apt repository and synaptic. Once you've done that, use Synaptic to install xmms and mpg321.
    XMMS on Redhat 9 does play MP3's. the version of XMMS that I have plays mp3's perfectly. the only audio files that it doesn't play are wma, and we all know why that is.

Linux Engineer
    RH9 doesn't ship with mp3 ability. Was removed by RH over licencing concerns.

Link explains it with a solution.

http://havardk.xmms.org/dist/xmms-1.2.7-rh8-rh9-rpm/
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    well I havn't done anything to XMMS since Redhat was installed and it's been able to play mp3's since the day i got it

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadfred
    well I havn't done anything to XMMS since Redhat was installed and it's been able to play mp3's since the day i got it
    This can't possibly be true. You've either installed mpg321 or a different xmms.
    I say this because RedHat removed the the tools necessary to play and rip mp3's as of release 8.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

perhaps you ran an updater program, anything with a 3rd party reposity (PLF) will add mp3 support asap.

Formerly Known as qub333

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast