Find the answer to your Linux question:
i guess i should have posted it herre to begin with and its very lengthy because of some stuff i pasted, so i'll just post the linkto the original post... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SDL headers problem - crosspost

i guess i should have posted it herre to begin with and its very lengthy because of some stuff i pasted, so i'll just post the linkto the original post...

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21955

not to be RTFM but i would love to help, but also dont have 4 hours to read ur errors, first search an error message and if its so long that you cannot fit it inot a serach engin, try to narrow it down to the part that is actualy important, or specify what is wrong. WE can help, im sure, but no one wants to read that much.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    RTFM? i have.... read that much? i didn't read all that.... i just took about a minute or two's glance at it and could see that the installation couldn't find ANY of my headers, which you could have seen if you had been helpful enough to take about 30 seconds and scroll down the page. read the post... not 2000 lines of error code that i included just to give the readers an idea that i only started out with 2 errors when compiling....then ended up with about 2000 (literally). if you can help or make a suggestion besides RTFM, i would really appreciate it, if not...then don't post just to be smart. if you could (or wanted) to help in the beggining it wouldn't matter. you wold have just made a suggestion without reading all that code. and just gave an educated guess from the rest of the post..
    had i NOT posted the errors, would you have made a more helpful reply? or not replied at all?

if anyone CAN help me i'd really appreciate it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    whoa dude, chill i specificaly said NOT to be rtfm as in, i dont wanna sound like im flaming you. It was not some gang up on a poster, all I was saying is when someone opens a post an it is very long, they are disinclined to read it. it was a friendly "this is my experiance, mabey it will help you" Whenever my post get wordym the responses get less. ok, i can give you a more accurate guess at the problem, but im lost on a solution other than looking for a rpm. It finds the source, but not the headers (obviously) but did you run the ./configure script? even if unessicary, look for an install config file, as that might contain the deafult directories that 'make' looks in.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

my apology

hey, i was at work and read your post and i can't reply from there, but i can now. qub333, please forgive me for being a butt. if i wasn't so expecting to rcieve a flame i probly wouldn't have taken your reply the wrong way, and reading it a second time and then my reply, i realize i was just being snappy, and harsh on you undeservingly. thanks for the idea though. again ... sorry m8.

cheers,
    daemox

I can't really understand what you did at first with the linking of the headers? Can you clarify that a little?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    sure, i got the first errors that just said that m_swap.h was trying to include SDL.h and it couln't be found, well i figure thats just th relative path, so i searched for them on my hard drive and made a symbolic link to them in the install directory, well then it was able to find and get passed that part but it gave the same kinds of errors over and over, so i linked some more that weren't found.

example:

ln /usr/local/include/SDL/SDL.h SDL.h

and the more files i link the more errors i get, there has to be a simplker way to do this that i just don't know.
    there is no install.cfg file but there is several other files, however none seem to check where my include directory is. (/usr/include) and the makefile doesn't seem to give any posible arguments.

one variable in the makefile says
    prefix = /usr/local

a few lines down it says

includedir = ${prefix}/include

/usr/local/include
    thats my include directory, but my sdl headers are in
    /usr/local/include/SDL

im thinking of maybe trying to put smylinks in /usr/local/include, so the program wont have to take an extra step into the SDL folder, o would this cause other programs problems?