Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey! I've been theorizing about all sorts of useless stuff lately, and I was thinking, how about a game (other programs, too, but games usually need the most power...) that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Different kind of game...

Hey! I've been theorizing about all sorts of useless stuff lately, and I was thinking, how about a game (other programs, too, but games usually need the most power...) that has a so-called built in OS? I mean, for instance, if it was to be a Linux game, why not more or less inbed the OS into the game and let it run with the entire system, instead of with the OS and whatever else going too?
    I know that some Linux installers let you play tetris while installing, but has anyone heard of a game like this, that completely alone uses the computer, much like a console game?

Old DOS games come to mind. Not sure if it's the same thing you are talking about, but I used to play old DOS games that only ran from the command line. Links386 (Golf game) was one and I can't remember the others.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    lol I used to play that, actually! And Scorched Earth... in fact, I got an old Win3.1 machine in my closet JUST for that game. I think I'll dig it out --another toy to play with, at the least.
    I know that even old Mac games did this (my third grade teacher let us play these as a reward sometimes), but I'm really wondering about (a) more modern games, and (b) something with it's own DOS even; kinda like running a LiveCD, but not necessarily. I highly doubt anyone would even bother, but it's just an idea....

I know that even old Mac games did this (my third grade teacher let us play these as a reward sometimes), but I'm really wondering about (a) more modern games, and (b) something with it's own DOS even; kinda like running a LiveCD, but not necessarily. I highly doubt anyone would even bother, but it's just an idea....
    Maybe the user base wouldn't be huge, but I'm sure it would be decent as long as word got out. I mean I've been doing old 6.x mac emulation just so that I could play Civilization 1 again (recently found the old disks... victory). I'm sure there are others out there that wouldn't mind the nostalgic option.
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

Linux Newbie
    Oh, that reminds me --what's a good virtual drive program for Linux?
    Sorry, off topic...
    Last edited by ryokimball; 01-26-2008 at 03:57 AM. Reason: added the final "f" in "off"

Virtual drive for what sort of medium? You can just mount an iso if thats what you mean. If you are referring to disk images for mac then check this out for blank/system ones:

minivmac [No Thick Manuals]

I actually used windows software, image.exe which you can download from vMac - The Virtual Macintosh Emulator Project to make images of my old mac disks (I don't have any floppy drives here at home).
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by sdimhoff View Post
    You can just mount an iso if thats what you mean.
    Actually, that's exactly what I need (and was wondering why you couldn't anyways...). I ISO'd Morrowind so I could play it without needing the discs, then realized that I could do the same for my movies.... yeah. I need a new drive now. ^,^