Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a current sound issue with onboard sound in one of my computers. It is evident in Windows and I assume the same in Linux. I will test it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

PCI sound card support in Linux?

I have a current sound issue with onboard sound in one of my computers. It is evident in Windows and I assume the same in Linux. I will test it soon (within the hour). I want to use (low impedance) earphones (the noise isolating type) with my computer (desktop).

If I cannot solve the problem, is it likely that a PCI sound card would solve it?

If there is a good chance of that, which sound card is recommended?

I am looking at the M-Audio sound cards especially. What about the 2496? Would that be supported?

I have the impression that the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series of cards would invite several issues and possibly little to no support in Linux? I thought Creative owns or controls M-Audio so I wonder if there would be support issues with either one.

Anyway, please suggest a decent sound card! I don't need anything fancy, just something with decent sound that can help avoid the hissing/buzzing I hear when nothing is being played through the earphones. There is probably some hissing being drowned out when sound/video is playing but it is very noticeable and annoying when the computer is not playing a song/video etc.

I've never used a Creative card with Linux, but I do know some are supported and some aren't. Pretty much any card that implements the AC'97 codec should work fine in Linux. I have tried two PCI cards: one was a Hercules Muse XL and the other was a brown-box special that just said "C-Media". Both worked just fine in Linux.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants