Find the answer to your Linux question:
hii there guys, which is the best media player in linux , i m talking abt the player which can run music and videos of every format (atleast most of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Is The Best Media Player In Linux?

hii there guys,
    which is the best media player in linux , i m talking abt the player which can run music and videos of every format (atleast most of them),like windows media player with k-lite codec

oz
    forum.guy
    It's really very much like it is with distros. You have to try them and then decide for yourself which one is best, in your opinion. That said, VLC is said to play just about anything. Of course, to do that you must have the correct underlying files in place.
    oz

mplayer is another media player which can be built to support most formats as well. It is a very versatile player and you can also use netscape/firefox/seamonkey plugins to support embeded video.
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Windows Media player was one of the programs I had trouble replacing when I moved over from Windows.

At the moment I'm using Banshee for music as it has a good library for my albums as well as useful information. Apparently it's quite similar for iTunes.

I'm waiting for Songbird to get an official release. From what I've seen it's going to be a great media player.

For videos I use mplayer with the smplayer front end. It's very good and I've not come across a file it can't handle yet

As ozar said, just give a few a try - you will eventually find one that you like
    Linux User #453176

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I get by fine using Xine based players (Kaffeine with the appropriate codecs). That said, VLC seems to handle a lot more file types that the other players and the only reason why I don't use it on Linux is because I don't like the interface.

Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    I get by fine using Xine based players (Kaffeine with the appropriate codecs). That said, VLC seems to handle a lot more file types that the other players and the only reason why I don't use it on Linux is because I don't like the interface.
    I like Xine for video, and Amarok for audio.

Just Joined!
    Amarok - Definately for audio
    MPlayer - Great for Video

VLC-Video
    Amarok- audio
    "Do or do not...there is no try" -Yoda
    History is a set of lies agreed upon by the winners.
    Linux is user friendly, not idiot friendly.
    Linux User 437442