Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, When I installed Mandrake 10.0 D/L edition on my Compaq Armada m700, it auto-detected the ATI Rage Pro Mobility card. I have since learned that the drivers that come ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

ATI Rage Pro Mobiility Drive for Mandrake 10.0

Hello,

When I installed Mandrake 10.0 D/L edition on my Compaq Armada m700, it auto-detected the ATI Rage Pro Mobility card. I have since learned that the drivers that come with down load editions are open-source and that they may not be as good as the propetary version available for download.

I have two questions.

1) Is this driver better then the one open-source version? I guess by that I mean so much better as to warrent me even installing it.
    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/l...x=8&submit.y=5

2) Whenever I come out of suspend, the video is very shaky. So bad that I can't even see it and have to re-start the computer. Could this be related to the video driver? Would installing this fix it?

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

to number 2, that seems unlikly, its more porbable that it has something to do with your monitor, but what exactly do you mean by 'shakey" if you have another monitor nearby, then plug that in and tryit.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Guru
    You mean out the AUX port? It's a laptop.

What do I mean by shakey? hmmm... The mouse works and the buttons work (most of the time), but the screen "flickers" so fast that it's hard to see what you're doing. In addition, it's not just flickering on and off, it's moving up and down and left and right, seemingly randomly. By that I mean, all the sudden the top right part of the screen will suddenly be at the bottom left part of the screen and so on.

I'll try to take a screen shot, but for now I hope that's descriptive enough.

Jeremy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    thats fine, but it only stumptsme ill look around, but i dont wanna guess, im really out of the loop on graphics in linux.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Guru

[1/2 Solved]ATI Rage Pro Mobiility Drive for Mandrake 10.0

By commenting out the line

Code:
    Code:
    CHANGE_VT="7"
    in the file /etc/sysconfig/suspend, the issue of the flickering screen was solved. I still don't know if I have the ati.2 driver installed, though.

On to more searching!
    Jeremy