Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I have a question about my iPod. I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 and I use Banshee to transfer all my music files to my iPod. I have a 30GB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

iPod Question

Hello everyone,

I have a question about my iPod. I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 and I use Banshee to transfer all my music files to my iPod. I have a 30GB Video and I would love to find out how to do a few things on it. What's a good program for transferring photo's or video's to my iPod? Also, how do I reformat my iPod in Linux? In iTunes in Windows, it lets you reformat and reinstall the iPod OS in a few minutes. Is there anything that can do any of those things in Linux? So far, since switching to Ubuntu, those are the only things that I ever go back to Windows to do.

Thanks for your help,

Matt Segstro

vpp
    Just Joined!
    Hello Matt,
    I am not quite sure if Amarok works with video files too, but I guess so. I've used it just for music files with my Shuffle. I think it formats the device when needed. Try out!

Veli-Pekka

Just Joined!

KDE/Gnome

Hey, thanks for the reply, but I'm just wondering, isn't Amarok meant for KDE and not for Gnome? I've heard that programs meant for one don't work well in the other and so I'm a little bit worried about trying it.

Matt

vpp
    Just Joined!
    I have run KDE and Gnome successfully side by side. I am mainly using Gnome, but I have the necessary KDE libraries. I have seen no problems in using Amarok nor any other KDE programs. I am using both i386 and x86_64 systems from Fedora.

-vp-

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SEGMAT View Post
    Hey, thanks for the reply, but I'm just wondering, isn't Amarok meant for KDE and not for Gnome? I've heard that programs meant for one don't work well in the other and so I'm a little bit worried about trying it.

Matt
    False. Any application will work as long as all the needed libraries are installed. I don't use kde nor gnome myself. But I use lots of kde and gtk programs under fvwm without a single problem. You could even use the gnome panel under kde with the xfce window manager if that makes you happy :P

Amarok is meant for music only, and the last time I checked it had no support at all to display video files.

About the iPod, I don't use that kind of toys, but as long as it's an standard usb device (I don't really know if that's the case) it should just work. Depending on your distro, you might need to mount it manually or not. You might need to load the usb storage driver manually as well, it all depends on how your distro handles these things.