Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Here is where I go every time I need to install it. I've tried to download it there before too. They're the same file. You'll still get the same jre-6-linux-amd64.bin ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Here is where I go every time I need to install it.
    I've tried to download it there before too. They're the same file. You'll still get the same jre-6-linux-amd64.bin whether you download it from the link I gave or the one you get it from. I'm thinking about just getting 1.5_09 from the Java archives and trying that.. I've gotten that one working very easily before.

Yeah, perhaps you should. I've pretty well run out of ideas. You seem to have done everything properly and you don't have a result. Actually,the first time I tried installing 1.6 I failed. I tried again a couple of months afterwards and it was fine. Perhaps you should try again a bit later.
    To be honest, installing Java can be real a pain in the arse in Linux - the forum's always getting requests about it. Trouble is, it's one of the first things newbies want to install: can be quite a turn off.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Just Joined!
    I've tried the x64 jre1.5 and it still didn't work, but the 32 bit version of 1.6 works fine. So I have to use the 32 bit firefox but at least it works. Thanks for all your help and patience

Thanks for the update! I have a 32 bit machine, so I've never tried the 64 bit version.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2