Find the answer to your Linux question:
yeah i got the latest drivers for the 6800 off of nVIDIA's site and put them on. all a success, only problem is it hasnt recognized my card...im assuming its ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

6800+SuSE

yeah i got the latest drivers for the 6800 off of nVIDIA's site and put them on. all a success, only problem is it hasnt recognized my card...im assuming its because of the kernel i have ( the not new one) i dont know how to install the new ones cause my manual sucks...any help??

Re: 6800+SuSE

Quote Originally Posted by uberdude
    yeah i got the latest drivers for the 6800 off of nVIDIA's site and put them on. all a success, only problem is it hasnt recognized my card...im assuming its because of the kernel i have ( the not new one) i dont know how to install the new ones cause my manual sucks...any help??

I was able to successfully install my 6800 on SuSE 9.1 doing this:

1. Boot into failsafe (console)
    2. Log in as root
    3. Run the nvidia installer (.sh file)
    4. Run SaX2
    5. Click "Enable 3D Acceleration" under the "Display" section
    6. Where it asks what card you have, say it's a Geforce 5900 Ultra.
    7. Finalize and Save out of SaX2
    8. Reboot.

If you have any questions about this let me know.

**UPDATE**
    I did get the 3D drivers to work for my 6800 in SuSE, however there is a rather strange quirk to it: I can't boot into runlevel 5 (graphical login). I haven't quite determined why this is, since it's not a problem with my X Windows configuration. I can log in and start up the GUI with 'startx' just fine, full 3D acceleration, it just won't start by itself due to "Errors in Runlevel 5".
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants