Find the answer to your Linux question:
Redhat 9 has detected my on-board sound (SiS), and plays the test sound, but when I put a CD in, the CD players show it to be playing, but I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Soundcard detected, no sound though! (RH 9)

Redhat 9 has detected my on-board sound (SiS), and plays the test sound, but when I put a CD in, the CD players show it to be playing, but I hear nothing! I have tried all the CD players I can find.

Any help appreciated for a newbie!

Jamie

Linux Engineer
    check if KAmix or Qmix or generally mixers on the system are configured properly(nothing is set to mute--master/pcm/input etc...).
    i think it will work!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    I'm having exactly the same probs with Redhat 9 as Gumbald - SiS detected and test sound plays fine, but the silence on CD's is deafening ....
    Tried messing around with the mixer settings, but still the CD's won't play, even though everything indicates they are playing ....
    Any more suggestions please ?

Thanks,
    Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by chood
    I'm having exactly the same probs with Redhat 9 as Gumbald - SiS detected and test sound plays fine, but the silence on CD's is deafening ....
    Tried messing around with the mixer settings, but still the CD's won't play, even though everything indicates they are playing ....
    Any more suggestions please ?

Thanks,
    Carl.
    This is kind of out in left field, but have you opened up your case lately? I have onboard SiS and there's a little grey cable connecting my DVDROM drive to my motherboard. I know most drives are capable of using the IDE bus for sound nowadays, but I still plug in the little gray cable. Who knows, it may help.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants