Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hi NoWayBill, Thanks for the pointer. I don't have the laptop in front of me right now and possibly won't get to it for another day. Do you have any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi NoWayBill,

Thanks for the pointer. I don't have the laptop in front of me right now and possibly won't get to it for another day. Do you have any idea whether using this module will solve that feedback issue I was seeing? I have a feeling the sb module may be to blame for it.

In the mean time, I'll check if the OSS modules support either the es1879 or es1688.

Just Joined!
    Let me start with, I saw you on the DSL forums discussing this issue also.
    My experience is that the sb module doesn't work correctly and I couldn't get the es-1688 to load at all in DSL.
    But I was trying with ALSA source, which wouldn't install because of missing kernel build info, not OSS.
    The ALSA stuff in the DSL repos are for an older kernels than the current level.
    The sb mod takes a 3-4 min mp3 and skips through it in ~30sec.
    To test start xMMs, it will default to a tone generator.
    Hit play, if it "pops" during generation it will not successfully reproduce an audio file.

I ended up maxing the RAM, 2x128m for less than $35 delivered, brand new, and installing SuSE10.3 minimal.
    Not as responsive as DSL, but at least everything works.

All I wanted my box to do is play audio and run kStars.

Just Joined!
    Other than the initial feedback from the mic, the OSS version of the sb module works fine. It even detects the ES1879 chip. I had similar behavior with it blasting through mp3s or just stuttering, just had to set the irq=5 in my case. btw, I'm using a slightly old version of DSL, v3.4.8.

Thanks for the info. It may be useful if I switch to Puppy and use ALSA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2