Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by JVincent08 Well, the thing with iD is that their shooters are, to me, very linear, and they all share basically the same plot, the same environment.. to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by JVincent08 View Post
    Well, the thing with iD is that their shooters are, to me, very linear, and they all share basically the same plot, the same environment.. to me they're just the same. Its not that I don't like FPS's, I just don't like doing the same thing over and over again. If Duke Nukem isn't linear, I'll surely give it a try, and I'll probably like it.
    That depends on what you mean by "linear." Every FPS game is "linear" in the sense that you clear level 1, go to level 2, clear level 2 and go to level 3. There's no "hub world" to choose where to go next or anything like you might see in a more non-linear action game.

If however by "linear" you mean "the whole level directs you to go in one direction" then yes, Duke Nukem 3D is much less linear than the Doom or Quake games. You have a lot of freedom to explore the levels and there's a lot of little hidden things strewn about. You can interact with a lot more of the environment too.

In one section of the first level you can play a game of pool, watch a strip show, fly in a jetpack, and demolish a building.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    If however by "linear" you mean "the whole level directs you to go in one direction" then yes, Duke Nukem 3D is much less linear than the Doom or Quake games.
    Yes, that's what I meant by linear.

In one section of the first level you can play a game of pool, watch a strip show, fly in a jetpack, and demolish a building.
    Sounds fun! I'll check it out.

Adrift in an ever-expanding universe, quietly contemplating the wondrous and the inevitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgeous George View Post
    I haven't seen or played this game in person yet, but I've heard some very positive comments about it. What has your experience been? I like that it can be played from a linux box without using workarounds. So what is the gameplay like? I checked out your link to the site, and it was cool, but I'd like to hear some uncensored feedback.

qv

Quote Originally Posted by questio verum View Post
    I haven't seen or played this game in person yet, but I've heard some very positive comments about it. What has your experience been? I like that it can be played from a linux box without using workarounds. So what is the gameplay like? I checked out your link to the site, and it was cool, but I'd like to hear some uncensored feedback.

qv
    It is probably the biggest most in depth game you could ever play. It is more or less a sandbox where you do whatever you like, be it combat, market trading or economics. However it does take a while to get into it and you probably wont even realize 99% of what is going on unless you read forums and chat to people regularly.

A good plus is that it isn't hugely demanding of your time as instead of having to grind away killing things to get XP and skills your skills are simply trained over time. You choose what skill you want to train and it will do so even while you are offline. The servers however do struggle to keep up with the demands placed on them in large scale pitched battles where more often than not some 500 or so ships will bring a whole node to its knees. the makers have been working on fixing this, and while I haven't played myself in quite a few months they have been doing a lot to help fix this problem and may have done so by now.

The linux client is very good but is unfortunately still only available using the old graphics engine, so it does look a tad dated. They have said they will release the new engine at some point but at the moment if you want the new engine you would have to run the windows client in WINE. It is worth a look, try a 14 day trial see what you think

Just Joined!
    I also vouch for EVE-Online.

It's a quality game which imo has more depth than games like WOW. It also has wonderful things like a player controlled market which has rises, falls, inflation etc like a real life market. They even have a doctor of economics monitoring the market.

Although I've never played it in Linux, I can vouch for it being a good game for you to try

However after the initial 14 day trial you need to pay to keep it up.

Adrift in an ever-expanding universe, quietly contemplating the wondrous and the inevitable.
    Sounds intriguing. I like the idea of seeding my character with the skillset I want and then letting it develop even when I'm not logged on. Fits in with my oft-times manic work schedule

I should be able to carve out a slot the weekend after next, for some screen time. Do I need to buy the client to do the 14 day trial? Any suggestions to help make the most of my start-up experience?

qv
    Last edited by questio verum; 05-07-2008 at 01:40 AM. Reason: edited for brevity

Just Joined!
    No, the client is free, but after the 14 day trial it's around $15us per month.

A good example of the useful training system is that I've been working on assignments non-stop for a couple of weeks, and my character isn't dropping behind

Just Joined!
    Does the whole thing take place in a futuristic space environment? I kinda like the old medieval type mmorpgs better, but I'll give it a try.

Just Joined!
    Yes, it's all set in a futuristic space environment.

Basically there was a wormhole which opened up somewhere near our solar system, and it lead to another part of the universe, humans went through, worm hole collapsed.

Because these new colonies still relied on earth for supplies etc when the wormhole collapsed they were plunged into a new dark age, 4 main "races" of humans developed. Monotheistic Amarr, Tribal Minmatar, Capitalist Caldari and the Democratic Gallente.

EVE Online - a massive multiplayer online roleplaying space game - MMORPG

There is a whole lot of backstory including short stories etc on there, although there are role players the game focuses more on PvP than PvE

[EDIT]
    Holy hyperlinks batman, I just put in the website address and the forum automatically turned it in to that massive hyperlink!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast