Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Please don't list any of id's games. I'm looking for others. What are your favorite commercial (or commercial quality) games that natively support Linux?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Good commercial games that have native Linux installers

Please don't list any of id's games. I'm looking for others. What are your favorite commercial (or commercial quality) games that natively support Linux?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by JVincent08 View Post
    Please don't list any of id's games. I'm looking for others. What are your favorite commercial (or commercial quality) games that natively support Linux?
    Neverwinter nights (I, not II), has a native linux client. It works flawlessly under wine as well.

If you legally own the game, you will find instructions here:

Neverwinter Nights: Neverwinter Nights For Linux

Just Joined!
    Thanks. Does Neverwinter Nights require a subscription like WoW?

Linux Guru
    No. You pay for the game, and you have access to all the single player stuff, and to the network as well. You can play on lots of servers and persistent worlds, or you can play in your house alone. You can also download lots of modules and custom stuff from here:

Neverwinter News, Trailers, Screenshots, Previews, Reviews, Guides -- Neverwinter Nights 2 Vault

That will expand the game play hours to years (provided you like the game, of course).

You can also act as a server, and play via ip with a friend or something if you don't like to play with unknown people but don't want to play alone either.

I recommend you to go the the Diamond Edition, because it ships the game + the two official expansions. Those not only give you more hours and extra clases, feats, spells, items and contents in general. But are also needed for most of the modules in the link I gave you above (since they use the new stuff in those two expansions).

Nowadays, it should be cheap enough. I suppose, somewhere in the 20-15$ range or so. Not sure.

Duke Nukem 3D
    But it appears the Iculus website is down for the moment.
    http://www.icculus.org/duke3d/
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I'll check both of those out. Anyone else?

Well, I was going to list a bunch of Id's games (what's wrong with those?) but instead I'll list these:

Unreal Tournament GOTY
    Unreal Tournament 2003
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Id's games (what's wrong with those?)
    If you've played one of their fps's, you've played them all, thats what. I have Quake IV installed and played it once. I tried DOOM 3 and thought I was playing Quake...

But thanks for your response

Quote Originally Posted by JVincent08 View Post
    If you've played one of their fps's, you've played them all, thats what. I have Quake IV installed and played it once. I tried DOOM 3 and thought I was playing Quake...

But thanks for your response
    Well, then you probably won't much like Duke Nukem either. It's not quiet Quake or Doom, but it is a FPS.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Well, the thing with iD is that their shooters are, to me, very linear, and they all share basically the same plot, the same environment.. to me they're just the same. Its not that I don't like FPS's, I just don't like doing the same thing over and over again. If Duke Nukem isn't linear, I'll surely give it a try, and I'll probably like it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast