Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I am running debian sid on a Compal IFL90. It has a Realtek ALC268 sound card. I configured ALSA with options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. The sound output works ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DC offset when recording audio with Realtek ALC268

Hi. I am running debian sid on a Compal IFL90. It has a Realtek ALC268 sound card. I configured ALSA with options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. The sound output works fine, but when recording, there is a significant DC offset from both the built-in mics and the mic jack even when nothing is plugged in. The offset increases when the capture volume and mic boost is increased, so I cannot record with very much volume before the sound is clipped. This makes the built-in mics useless, because the capture volume must be turned up very high. Is this a hardware problem in my sound card, or is it an issue with the software, and can I fix it?

consider reporting a bug to ALSA, attach lspci -vv and your Distro with the kernel version, i did for my sound card, the snd-hda module seems to be buggy, meanwhile to you try to boot your system with the option acpi=off, my sound works only with this option in a kernel version less than 2.6.25 ( only 2.6.25 makes my sound card works perfectly).
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I'll try kernel 2.6.25 and see what happens.

$ uname -rvmo
    2.6.24-1-686 #1 SMP Sat Apr 19 00:37:55 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

lspci -vv output is attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    consider sending these information to https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/al...login_page.php

regards.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    I sent the information in. It is number 3930
    I haven't been able to run 2.6.25 yet, I get a kernel panic and I haven't had time to fix it because last week was finals week. Now that I have some more time I will get on that.

A kernel panic is expected when you switch your kernel, wish distro you are using, see how you can build the initrd or the initramfs for your distro (contains at least your file system module).
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    I just got kernel 2.6.25.2 up and running and tested the sound. It works the same as it did before. The offset has not changed.