Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I downloaded SuperTux 0.3.0 on Ubuntu Gutsy Machine. I have played this game on SuSE 9.2 as well but it went good. However, at this Ubuntu OS, I can hardly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

SuperTux 0.3.0 Bitterly Slow

I downloaded SuperTux 0.3.0 on Ubuntu Gutsy Machine. I have played this game on SuSE 9.2 as well but it went good. However, at this Ubuntu OS, I can hardly move the mouse cursor. Provided that GNOME uses more RAM, I logged on to FVWM Crystal but up to no avail. What could be the problem?
    Last edited by Tsarevich; 06-11-2008 at 07:44 AM. Reason: grammatical error
    "When you have nothing to say, say nothing."

Linux Guru
    It sounds like you haven't got the right driver selected for your graphics card/chip. What graphics card are you using? Post the output of the following command
    Code:
    grep Driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Linux User
    Code:
    root@ubuntu:~# grep Driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
            Driver          "kbd"
            Driver          "mouse"
            Driver          "vesa"

Linux Guru
    There's your problem. You are using the vesa driver. Vesa doesn't really support 3D acceleration - you will need to install the correct driver for your graphics card. What card do you have?

Linux User
    ATI Mach64 Utah

Linux Guru
    I think for that card you might try using the older open source driver - radeon. Make a backup copy of your xorg.conf file and change the driver from vesa to radeon. You can then restart X.

There may be a tool for changing driver in your distribution, if so that may be easier for you to work with.

Linux User
    Oh. I just reinstalled Ubuntu on an ext3fs filesystem and look how the output changed:

Code:
    usama@ubuntu:~$ grep Driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
            Driver          "kbd"
            Driver          "mouse"
            Driver          "wacom"
            Driver          "wacom"
            Driver          "wacom"
            Driver          "ati"

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by usamamuneeb View Post
    Oh. I just reinstalled Ubuntu on an ext3fs filesystem and look how the output changed...
    Yeah I remember you mentioned that in another thread you were having trouble with reiserfs installed. I'm a little surprised that you had such trouble with reiser as both that and ext3 are journaled. Seeing this problem too I'm wondering if there was something else altogether causing trouble for you...though using vesa can sometimes give your CPU a hard time.

Now that you are using the ati driver how is Supertux? What kind of framerate are you getting from glxgears?

Linux User
    Nothing, same as before. I changed the ati to radeon. DO I have to install it first?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by usamamuneeb View Post
    Nothing, same as before. I changed the ati to radeon. DO I have to install it first?
    No I believe it should be installed already as part of X. Have you checked your system processes? Is there something eating up CPU perhaps?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast