Find the answer to your Linux question:
First, I am a total noob to knoppix. Second, for hours and hours I have been searching and reading. Thanks to a great tut from Graham, I believe I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

.avi won't play with zine

First, I am a total noob to knoppix. Second, for hours and hours I have been searching and reading. Thanks to a great tut from Graham, I believe I can get my wireless going tomorrow(my head hurts now).
    In the meantime, I have a pile of .avi files that were downloaded with XP. I tried every player available in knoppix, but could not make anything work. If someone could point me towards the proper tut, or give me a hint or a small push in the right direction, it may save me tossing my system out the window.
    Looks like I may be spending a lot of time here reading all the old posts and catching up. Thanks to everyone for all the info so far.

I don't know anything about knoppix, how the software is installed or repository manager. But I guess
    apt-get install <packagename>
    will do.
    So, you can try vlc. Actually, codecs that are necessary to play .avi or any other video format like .mpeg is missing. If you install vlc those codecs will come bundled with that.
    apt-get install vlc*

Or, you can try mplayer too. Do,
    apt-get install mplayer*
    And, have you checked
    this?
    This seems to be a great place to get the informations. You check the page-13 for video related information.

Hope this helps, and post back your progress.

Cheers.

For both the install you've to be root, so place a sudo before the line.
    Imran
    Linux User #467555 | Debian Squeeze | Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU 4500 @ 2.20GHz | Gigabyte GA-G41MT-ES2L
    | 2 GB RAM | 320 GB SATA | Kernel: 2.6.32-5-686

Hi and Welcome !

Are you planning to install Knoppix? I wont suggest you to do that. Knoppix is for using as LiveCD only and its installation is not recommended.
    I would suggest you to go for Ubuntu or any other newbie friendly distro. Check the Link in my signature.

Btw, VLC player supports most of media formats. There is no need to suffix vlc with *.
    Code:
    su -
    apt-get install vlc
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Thanks for quick replies.

I am using knoppix as a live cd. Before I go much further, I will get a copy of Ubuntu. Thanks imranka for the link. There is a lot of info there. I haven't really looked at it yet. I will get back to you and let you know what it helped me to do.
    Thanks guys, I know once I get going and am able to got one or two things to work, there will be no stopping me.

There is no use of installing anything in LiveCD because whenever you shutdown/reboot, all installed packages will be erased and you have to install those again.
    Check the link in my signature. It will get you going.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First