Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
The sound is the only thing that I found can give a bit of trouble in some games. Sometimes it's tricky to get it working, and there are a couple ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

The sound is the only thing that I found can give a bit of trouble in some games. Sometimes it's tricky to get it working, and there are a couple of games where it just didn't work at all. I always advise to use the very latest version when it comes to emulation software.

This can be sometimes useful:
    VOGONS :: View Forum - DOSBox Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I presume sound is working for you okay? I installed Hereitic... I guess it was the first one, last night and can't get sound to work. Got a download link on the expansion?
    Well, the sounds are working. I haven't actually paid attention to whether the music is. DosBox emulates a SoundBlaster if I'm not mistaken. When I ran the installer it detected it automatically.

I don't honestly know where you can get the Heretic expansion. I don't know if they made a demo for it. The names of the two expansions I have are:

Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders
    Hexen: Death Knights of the Dark Citadel

They all came on a CD called Towers of Darkness that I found rummaging through a bargain bin one day in college.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    This can be sometimes useful:
    VOGONS :: View Forum - DOSBox Guides
    That's a very good link i92guboj, thanks!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Playing around some more I realized I wasn't getting music (although sound worked fine), so I fiddled with my settings and chose "Adlib" for my Music device in Hexen and Heretic. Now I have music, in all its sythesized midi glory.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I just now came across this thread and figured I should give my little bit of input. I found this site, which has loads of abandonware for download. Enjoy!

Abandonia.com
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I just found some some floppy disks, many of which are pretty useless for me now but I did manage to find the entire 3 disk set of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons "Eye of the Beholder", and I managed to copy the 3 disks to my HD as I was afraid they'd be too old to read from. I'd love to play it but Wine says it's garbage. I couldn't find it listed on Dosbox, I'm gonna search for it on Dosemu next. I would love to play it if I could get it installed. Any Ideas folks?
    and BTW, I'm a huge Duke3D fan. I have it installed now and play it regularly.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

As far as the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons goes... all I can say is good luck getting it to play in Wine. Have you had any better luck trying it in qemu?

*EDIT*

Never mind... I just completely read that post wrong
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    As far as the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons goes... all I can say is good luck getting it to play in Wine. Have you had any better luck trying it in qemu?

*EDIT*

Never mind... I just completely read that post wrong
    I think you got the gist of it jayd, Since I run Gentoo, it may be until tomorrow sometime before I get anything installed, it takes forever and a half days to compile many programs on Gentoo which is compounded by the fact that my machine is only a 1.1 Ghz, 256 RAM.

So I take it that you've tried to install D&D with no joy?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I haven't tried to install it personally, but several of my friends have given it a shot with no luck at all. Really, the only games I've got installed on my box are Diablo 2 and Starcraft. I have the feeling that there aren't too many games that will run on mine. It's just a 1 gig with 512 meg of RAM.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    I use DOSBox, DOSEMU, AND an actual 486dx2, and stuffed to the gills with more freeware, abandonware, vaporware, and unknown-ware than any of my other OS's... a lot of the software is also very practical. I like FreeDOS, but kept IBM PC-DOS on my ancient beast in the interest of compatability with the box of old floppies from my university years that my folks sent me. I also put together a PC-DOS 6.1 boot CD, just for kicks. Bookmark my DOS page (SEARCH: 'DOS Programs Martin') for updated links to dos programs and links to archive sites.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2