Find the answer to your Linux question:
How can I install Americas Army on Suse 9.1? Please say how I can do it......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do i install americas army?

How can I install Americas Army on Suse 9.1?

Please say how I can do it...

Linux Engineer
    Have you already downloaded it?
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Guru
    There is a guide to how to setup AAServer on linux available from this page:
    http://www.americasarmy.com/downloads/other.php

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I haven't seen an rpm from suse but just download the linux file from the game's website and just run it and it will install.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!

Americas Army on SuSE 9.1

If you are having trouble getting the army bin file to run, right click on the bin file in whatever folder you downloaded it to, select "Properties", go to the permissions tab, and check the box that allows it to be executed. As shipped, that permission is not assigned, and nothing happens when you try to run the file.

After you check the permission box, all it takes is a click on the army bin file in the folder, and the installation will begin. Of course, you can set permission the old fashioned way, but KDE makes it as easy as a few clicks.

Enjoy the game,

Voyager

have you tried installing from the terminal?

Just Joined!

Americas Army on SuSE 9.1

Quote Originally Posted by imdeemvp
    have you tried installing from the terminal?
    No matter what source I downloaded the file from, it wouldn't install on 9.1. It was the terminal that infomed me of the permission problem. Changing the permission to allow the file to be executed allowed the game to install without problems on all of the several SuSE 9.1 machines I tried it on. I have been running SuSE since version 8.x, but 9.1 is the first that I tried loading this game on, so I can't say if there is a problem with the earlier versions, but I can say for sure that correctly setting the file permissions is all you have to do on 9.1 to get America's Army installed and running.

It also seems to be a good Linux build, as it runs both fast and clean, and I have not found any "issues" to complain about so far. By the way, if anone who is not used to the command line via a terminal has a problem with a script that is supposed to work from the GUI, try to run it in a terminal, as you will usually get an answer to a problem there, rather than a blank stare.

Voyager

now does it have a linux installer? if you are using cd to install it may have one...just like in ut2003 it comes with a linux intaller which you copy to your hd and them run the bin command from terminal....in ut2003 the linux installer is located in cd #3 you may wanna browse your cd's for such installer

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by imdeemvp
    now does it have a linux installer? if you are using cd to install it may have one...just like in ut2003 it comes with a linux intaller which you copy to your hd and them run the bin command from terminal....in ut2003 the linux installer is located in cd #3 you may wanna browse your cd's for such installer
    No,

It isn't a mystery at all. The Linux binary distributed for the America's Army game is a one size fits all bin file that is about 750 mb in size. If the file is given permission in SuSE 9.1 to execute, it installs without a hitch, and works perfectly. I don't know if it is offered on CD, as my experience is via .bin file download from various mirror sites. They all appear to offer the same file.
    That's fine with me, as it works as advertised so long as the permissions are set right.

I have not used ut2003, but I did buy the ut2004 disk set a few days ago. I see no installation comparison here, as ut2004 installed when I loaded the CD under SuSE 9.1. UT is an awesome game in it's own right, but I think America's Army is a must have for any hard core first person gamer.

Voyager