Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an iso file (25 Go) wich is an image of a blueray disk. I'm looking for a program that can convert this iso file to an MKV file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cool ISO to MKV

I have an iso file (25 Go) wich is an image of a blueray disk.
    I'm looking for a program that can convert this iso file to an MKV file I could read in my restroom player.
    I am using ubuntu hardy heron distri.

Thank's

NjB

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by njb_fedora View Post
    I have an iso file (25 Go) wich is an image of a blueray disk.
    I'm looking for a program that can convert this iso file to an MKV file I could read in my restroom player.
    I am using ubuntu hardy heron distri.

Thank's

NjB
    Well, .iso files are not video files, but a convenient way to store a whole iso file system into a single file. You can mount any iso file using mount. For example, if the file is called "disk-image.iso" you can do this to mount it into a terminal:

Code:
    mkdir iso_dir
    mount -o loop -t iso9660 disk-image.iso iso_dir
    After that, the contents of the iso can be acessed on the mount point "iso_dir". Just enter that directory and do whatever you want to.

Note that:
    1.- this will only work assuming that the iso is a standard iso, some programs like to break starndards and I am not going deep into that
    2.- I have never used a blueray disk, and I have no idea about the image and video formats these disks uses. The steps I told you are the previous preparation to be able to acess the files on the image, you then need a way to convert them, or if the format is acceptable, just copy them elsewhere to extract them from the iso image

As a rule of thumb (which is not always true) if mplayer can play the files, then mencoder most times should be able to envode them in whichever other format you need.