Find the answer to your Linux question:
I downloaded Urban Terror and made the urbanteror_64 file executable but it's really flaky. It worked last night pretty well I thought, but it's not consistent. First, I wasn't able ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Urban Terror 64bit on Kubuntu won't run

I downloaded Urban Terror and made the urbanteror_64 file executable but it's really flaky. It worked last night pretty well I thought, but it's not consistent. First, I wasn't able to download maps because it said I didn't have CURL libraries. But then after a reboot, I was able to, today. My resolution gets all messed up when exiting, and sometimes it just exits the game by its self.

The latest is, when I click on the UT_64 file, the screen flashes an 800x600 black screen for a second then that's it. I set the video to 1280x1024 thinking that it would come close to my 1440x900 LCD, but guess I was wrong. Now I can't get it to run at all, and I would rather not use the windows .exe file through Wine to be honest. Any solutions ?

Doug

Just Joined!
    Nuthin ? What if I saaaaaid.... Boobies. Would that help ?

If it's not running at all I'd remove the config directory and let it load again from the start. Are you using KDE4 by any chance? My ET:QW doesn't run under KDE4 (well sometimes it does but it's hit or miss). It runs perfectly under Gnome though. I'm not sure if it's related to the new Kwin effects.

Just Joined!
    Hmm, I think that the only thing which is KDE 4 on my system right now, is Dolphin KDE 4, and I installed it JUST now (really like it btw). Other than that, I'm not sure. Where exactly is the config file located ? I actually deleted the entire directory from which I had extracted the zip file, and started fresh but that didn't seem to work. As you said, it has been hit and miss with it, though loading from the windows .exe always works with WINE. I'd rather not use WINE though as it doesn't seem as smooth.

Doug

I'm not running Urban Terror anymore but the usual convention is to have a hidden directory in your home with the application name, e.g. .urbanterror

(The leading dot is to make the folder hidden)

Because Urbanterror is Quake based I'm not sure if it uses a Quake named folder though, perhaps .qw3 or something to that effect.